If you can’t create a new folder just by right clicking on the desktop window and then by clicking on “New> folder” and thinking what to do, you have just come to the right place. Make this simple change in your Registry Editor window and the problem will be solved easily.
Before going ahead to the main fix, we strongly suggest you to create a a backup of the registry on your computer. After opening Registry Editor, click on “File” > “Export” to create the backup.
If anything goes wrong you can retrieve your registry by simply importing the backup.
Fix- Create a new sub-key under shellex key-
You have to create a new key in shellex(associates all the shortcuts in the right click menu) and the problem will be solved.
1. Click on the Search box and type “regedit“.
2. Now, click on “Registry Editor” from the elevated search results window.
3. In Registry Editor window, navigate to this location-
4. Now, right click on “ContextMenuHandlers” and then click on “New>Key“.
5. Rename the key to “New“.
6. Now, on the left hand side, click on “New” to select it.
7. Now, on the right hand side, double click on “Default” to edit it.
8. In Edit String window, copy-paste this in ‘Value data:‘ box.
9. Click on “OK” to complete the change on your computer.
Close Registry Editor window.
Check if you can create a new folder by right clicking on the desktop and then “New> Folder“.
You will be able to create a new folder just like before.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.