Windows Update process usually runs smooth in the background, where Windows downloads and installs the update when you are busy with your work in foreground. But sometimes this process results in error. If you are facing “Windows Update error 0x80190001” on your computer, simply follow these fixes and the problem will be solved easily.
1. As Windows Update process takes a reboot to complete, reboot your computer and check if it helps.
2. Temporarily disable antivirus or firewall on your computer and try to update your computer again.
Go for these solutions if the workarounds didn’t help you out-
Fix-1 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Run Windows Update troubleshooter to detect and fix Windows Update issue.
1. Click on the Search box beside the Windows Icon and type “Troubleshoot settings“.
2. In the elevated search results, click on the “Troubleshoot settings“.
2. Now, on the right side of your Settings window, scroll down to find Get up and running section, and then click on “Windows Update” and then click on “Run the troubleshooter“.
3. Follow the on screen instructions and let the Windows Update Troubleshooter complete the process.
Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
Now Windows will detect if there is any problem associated with Window Update process.
3. Now, click on “Next” to apply the fix.
4. Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, try to update your computer.
Go for the next fix if the problem still bothers you.
Fix-2 Empty Download folder of SoftwareDistribution folder-
SoftwareDistribution folder holds Windows Update packages. Corruption in the packages can cause this issue.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
2. Type “cmd” and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together.
Command Prompt window will be opened with Administrative rights.
2. Now, copy and paste these commands one by one in Command Prompt window, and press Enter after each command to execute them. This will temporarily stall the necessary components of Windows Update service.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
Minimize the Command Prompt window.
3.Again, press Windows key+R to launch Run, and then copy-paste this line and hit Enter.
Note- Replace “C:” with the drive letter of your Windows installation drive.
Download folder will be opened in File Explorer window.
4. Now, press Ctrl+A to select all the folders and press “Delete” to empty the SoftwareDistribution folder. Close File Explorer window.
5. Maximize the Command Prompt window.
Now, you have to start the necessary Windows Update services again.
6. In order to do so copy and paste these following commands one by one in Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each command to execute them-
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Now, reboot your computer.
After rebooting, check if you can update Windows or not. Your problem will be fixed.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.