Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors are always terrorizing and NETIO.SYS BSOD error is definitely one of them. There are many reasons why you might be facing this error, though in most cases, you can fix the issue yourself following some simple steps. Some of the error messages that you might get with the NETIO.SYS BSOD errors are:
If you got any of the above messages with your NETIO.SYS BSOD error screen, then please try the methods listed below one by one to fix the issue.
Please note that you might have to boot into your Windows through a safe boot if you are unable to boot in through the normal mode because of the BSOD error.
Method 1: Disable / Uninstall Third Party Antivirus Software
When there are conflicts between your Windows operating system and your antivirus software, that could result in the NETIO.SYS Blue Screen of Death error. You can either try disabling your antivirus software or you can try uninstalling it to check if you still have the issue. Follow the steps below to uninstall your antivirus software.
1. Bring up Run dialog box by pressing the WIN + R keys together. Once it comes up, type in appwiz.cpl and hit Enter key.
2. Select your antivirus software from the list by clicking on it and then right click and choose the Uninstall option or you can click on the Uninstall button at the top after selecting the software.
Once the uninstallation process is complete, restart your machine.
Method 2: Update Your Windows Operating System
Corrupt drivers are another reason why you get the NETIO.SYS BSOD error. Windows updates now check for driver updates as well. So if you update your Windows, your drivers should also get updated alongwith, and this could fix the issue you are facing.
1. Bring up the Windows Settings app by pressing the keys WIN + I together. Click on the option Update & Security.
2. Click on Windows Update tab in the left window pane and in the right window pane, click on the button Check for updates.
Wait while Windows look for any new updates for your machine.
3. You will be able to see a button Restart now if any new updates are found and installed. Click on it to Restart the machine and for the changes to take over.
Method 3: Update Network Adapter Via Device Manager
If Windows updates could not find any new updates, you can try updating your network adapter through Device Manager.
1. Open Run window by pressing WIN + R keys together. Type in devmgmt.msc and hit Enter key.
2. When the Device Manager window launches, expand the section Network adapters to view the list of network adapters.
3. You now need to update your network adapter. If you are confused which one to update, then follow the steps below:
Type in System Information to Windows Start Menu Search bar and launch it from the search results. Now navigate to the following path:
System Summary --> Components --> Network --> Adapter
In the right window pane, you will now be able to see the network adapter that you need to update as shown in the screenshot below.
4. Now that you know which network adapter you have to update, in the Device Manager window, right click on it and click on Update Driver option.
5. As next, click on the option Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for the process to finish.
Restart your machine and check if your issue has been resolved or not.
Method 4: Run System File Checker Utility to Repair Corrupted Windows Files
Blue Screen of Death Errors are often caused by corrupt system files. Please follow the steps below to find and repair the corrupt system files in your machine.
1. In the Windows Start Menu Search bar, type in cmd. Right click on Command Prompt and then click on Run as administrator option.
2. Copy paste the following command into command prompt and hit Enter key.
After the scan finishes, if you get the message Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, then that means that some corrupt files are found and repaired by System File Checker utility. Restart your machine and check if the issue is gone.
Method 5: Use DISM RestoreHealth Option
To run an advanced scan and to repair problems with your Windows 10 system image, use DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) RestoreHealth option.
1. Type in Command Prompt to Windows Start Menu Search bar. Right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Copy paste the following command and then hit Enter key to repair the Windows 10 system image.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Once the process finishes, if some corrupt files are found, then DISM tool will connect to windows update to update the damaged files as required. Restart your machine and check if the BSOD error is gone or not.
Method 6: Perform System Restore
Another reason why you are facing the NETIO.SYS Blue Screen of Death error could be because of a recent change that you made to the Windows settings, or could be because of an app that you installed. Reverting back these changes might very well fix your issue. System Restore feature comes useful in such scenarios.
Kindly note that you should have System Restore functionality enabled in your machine already to make this method work. If you already have it enabled, then you can restore your Windows to a point before the NETIO.SYS BSOD error initially occurred.
1. Open Control Panel using Windows Start Menu Search bar. Once it launches, use the Search button at the top to launch the Recovery settings.
2. Click on Open System Restore link.
3. When the System Restore window opens up, click on Next button.
4. Enable the Show more restore points checkbox to view all the available system restore points in your machine.
Select a restore point before the NETIO.SYS BSOD error occurred for the very first time. Click on Next button.
5. To initiate the System Restore process, you have to confirm on the system restore point that you have chosen by clicking on the Finish button. If you want to change the restore point, then you can click on Back button and make the changes.
Once the whole process is complete, restart your machine.
Someone who is in love with writing and technical tricks & tips.