Are you unable to delete a particular file from a folder in Windows 10 as you are shown an error message “Item not found“? If you are, then there is no need to worry. There is a very simple fix to solve this issue on your computer. You can delete the file from Command Prompt by passing a removal command along with the file/ folder path.
How to fix: Item not found when trying to delete
Simply follow these steps and you will able to delete the problematic file/ folder.
1. Just right click on the file or folder which you want to delete.
2. Click on properties.
3. Now, copy the location you can see.
Close the Properties window.
4. Pressing the ‘Windows key‘ along with the ‘R‘ key will open up the Run window.
5. Type “cmd” and then you need to hit CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER keys together from your keyboard.
Command Prompt window will be opened.
5. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste and modify these commands and then hit Enter.
cd paste the file/folder location
This command should look like this-
cd C:\Users\Sambit\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player
6. Now, execute this command to list all the sub-directories in that folder.
7. Now in the subdirectories notice the name of the code for the folder you want to delete.
( Example- As we are going to delete the ‘Cache79288687‘, the folder path will be “CACHE7~1” for us.)
8. Simply copy-paste this command in Command Prompt window and modify it to your end, then press Enter to execute it on your computer.
rmdir /q /s folder code
Replace the ‘folder code‘ with the folder code you noticed in the previous step ( Step-7).
Example-For us the command will look something like this-
rmdir /q /s CACHE7~1
Once you have executed this command on your computer, the folder will be deleted.
Close Command Prompt window.
That’s it! You have successfully deleted the particular folder from your computer.
Your problem should be solved.