Are you seeing a red cross-mark over the network icon on the Task-bar? If you are, then there is some problem with the network device on your computer. Don’t worry. There are some easy fixes available to solve this issue at your end. But before trying these major fixes on your computer, you should attempt these easier ones which can solve your issue at much more ease.
1. Try rebooting your computer and check if the network is working or not.
2. Check if any of the keys of your keyboard is having WiFi sign on it. Try pressing the key to access the list of networks.
(In some keyboards, you need to press the Fn key to activate the multimedia key.
Try pressing (Fn+ WiFi) key on your computer.)
3. If you are using Ethernet cable, unplugging and plugging it to your computer may help you.
If any of these workarounds didn’t alleviate your situation, try these fixes on your computer-
Fix-1 Enable WiFi from Network Connections-
If the WiFi device on your computer is disabled on your computer, enabling it may help you out-
1. At first, press the Windows key along with the ‘R‘ key. This will open up the Run window.
2. Then, type “ncpa.cpl” in that Run window, click on “OK“.
2. When the Network Connections window opens up, right-click on the network connection you are using and then click on “Enable“.
The network connection will be enabled on your computer.
You should be able to use the network connection on your computer.
Fix-2 Disabling and Enabling network adapter-
Disabling and enabling the network driver may help you out.
1. From your keyboard, Press Windows key+X and then click on the “Device Manager” to access the utility.
2. In Device Manager window, expand the list of “Network adapters“.
3. Then, what you have to do is to right-click on the problematic network driver and then click on “Disable device“.
4. Click on “Yes” to disable the adapter.
After disabling the adapter, you will be notice a down arrow sign beside the disabled adapter.
5. Now, in the same window, right-click on the disabled adapter and then click on “Enable device” to enable the network adapter again.
Wait for a while as the device will be enabled again.
Check if any update is pending or not-
6. In the Device Manager window, right-click on the adapter driver on your computer and then click on “Update driver“.
7. In the next window, choose the option “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
Windows will search for the latest driver for your network device, download it and install it on your computer.
Close Device Manager window.
You should be able to use the network connection just like before.
Fix-3 Automate necessary services-
Some services are necessary for the network services function properly.
1. At first, click on the search bar and type “services“.
Then, simply click on the “Service” to access the utility.
2. In the Services window, double click on “WLAN AutoConfig” services.
3. Now, click on the drop-down menu beside the option “Startup type:“ and select “Automatic“.
4. Then, click on “Apply” and then on “OK“.
5. Now, scroll down and find the “Network connections” service. Double click on it.
6. At first, set the ‘Startup type:‘ to “Automatic” setting.
7. Then, you need to click on “Start” to start the service, if the Service Status is ‘Stopped‘.
8. To save the changes on your computer, click on “Apply” and “OK”
Close Services window.
Your issue should be solved.
Fix-4 Troubleshoot the particular network adapter-
If you are facing the problem with a particular network adapter troubleshooting it may help you-
1. Press the Windows key along with the ‘S‘ key from your keyboard. Then, you need to write “Network Connections“.
2. Then, you will have to click on the “Network Connections” from the elevated search result.
3. When the Network Connections window opens up, you need to double click on the network adapter.
4. In the next window, click on “Diagnose“. This will diagnose the WiFi issue.
Let the troubleshooter run and detect the problem on your computer.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.