GeForce Experience is a one-stop solution for all the NVIDIA users where they can optimize their games according to their choice, update the graphics driver to the latest version. But there is a particular issue of seeing the ‘Unable to retrieve settings’ message has been reported by some users. If you are seeing a similar message in NVIDIA GeForce Experience, follow our set of solutions mentioned in this article.
Fix 1 – Remove the scan locations
Sometimes corrupted scan locations in the GeForce Experience app may incur this error message.
1. You have to search for the “GeForce Experience“.
2. Then, click on “GeForce Experience” in the search results.
3. When the GeForce Experience opens up, click on the gear-shaped icon.
4. After that, click on the “GAMES“.
5. In the ‘SCAN LOCATION’ location, continuously click on the “REMOVE” to remove all the scan locations.
Close the GeForce Experience screen.
Relaunch the GeForce Experience on your computer.
6. Click on the gear-shaped icon again to access the settings just like before.
7. After this, click on “GAMES“.
8. Click on “SCAN NOW” to scan for the games on your computer.
This should fix the issue on your computer.
Fix 2 – Empty the Temp folder
Clearing up the Temp may solve the problem on your computer.
1. Press the Windows key+R keys together.
2. After that, type this code and click on “OK” to access the Temp folder.
4. Once the Temp folder appears, press ‘Ctrl+A‘ to select all the contents.
This will select all the files and folders inside the Temp folder.
5. After that, press the ‘Delete‘ key to clear everything from the Temp folder.
Once you are done, close the File Explorer window.
Try opening the GeForce Experience once again.
Fix 3 – Turn off the antivirus
If you have installed an antivirus on your system that may block some GeForce Experience features. You have to disable the ‘real-time scanning’ process of the antivirus. Once you have disabled the antivirus briefly on your computer, try to access the GeForce Experience again.
Fix 4 – Install the GeForce Experience
1. Search “Nvidia drivers“.
2. Click on the “Download Drivers|NVIDIA“.
8. Here you need to input your graphics driver information (like ‘Product type’, your ‘Operating System’, etc).
9. After that, just click on the “Search” to search for the latest driver.
Follow these steps to install the driver manually-
1. Go to the location where you have just downloaded the installer.
2. Double click on the offline installer.
3. When the NVIDIA Graphics Driver window opens up, click on “NVIDIA Graphics Driver and GeForce Experience“.
4. After that, click on “Agree and continue“.
5. Next to that, click on the “Custom installation“.
6. You have to click on “Next“.
7. Then you need to check the “Perform a clean installation” box.
8. A click on “Next” and the installation process will start.
9. Click on “Close” to close the NVIDIA Graphics Driver Installer window.
This way you have just installed the latest version of GeForce Experience.
Your problem is solved for sure.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.