A user asked me in comment section that when he is trying to delete a folder, an error message appears saying The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program. If you are also facing this problem, here are some quick working fixes for this problem.
Table of Contents
Fix 1 – The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program
1. Press Window key + R to open run.
2. Write resmon.exe in it and Click OK.
3. Now, Click on CPU tab.
4. Click on Associated Handles.
5. Now, Search the folder name or file name in the search handles box.
6. Right click on the process from the list and Choose end process. (Note that path of your folder is visible below Handle name)
Now, Go ahead and try again. You will face absolutely no problem.
Fix 2 – Restart Windows Explorer
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together on your keyboard to Open task manager.
2. Locate Windows explorer, right click on it and Choose Restart.
Fix 3 – Disable Controlled folder access
1. Press Windows key + S key together from keyboard and search windows security.
2. Click on Windows security from the search result.
3. Click on Virus & Threat protection.
4. Click on manage settings under Virus & Threat protection settings.
5. Click on manage controlled folder access under controlled folder access.
6. Turn off Controlled folder access.
Fix 4 – Disable Preview Pane
If by anyhow , you have enabled preview pane , Just disable it and try again.
Just Press Alt+P together to disable it if it is enabled. OR alternatively, you can just click on View and then click on Preview pane to disable it.
Fix 5 – Optimize the Drive in Which you created the Folder
1. Right Click on the drive in which you created the Folder.
2. Choose Properties.
3. Click on Tools Tab.
4. Choose Optimize.
Saurav is associated with IT industry and computers for more than a decade and is writing on The Geek Page on topics revolving on windows 10 and softwares.