When a particular program writes big amount of data in a buffer of a particular stack, more than the memory the stack is allocated to, the stack based buffer gets overrun due to shortage of memory and cause fatal error. If you are seeing this error message, “System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application” on your computer, simply follow these easy fixes and the problem will be solved pretty easily.
Fix-1 Rename BannerStore key-
Renaming the BannerStore key has fixed the issue for some users, follow these simple steps to try it on your computer-
Before going ahead to the main fix, we strongly suggest you to create a a backup of the registry on your computer. After opening Registry Editor, click on “File” > “Export” to create the backup.
If anything goes wrong you can retrieve your registry by simply importing the backup.
1. Press Windows key+R together to launch Run window on your computer.
2. In Run window, type “regedit” and then click on “OK” to open Registry Editor window.
3. In Registry Editor window, on the left hand side, navigate to this location-
4. Now, scroll down to find “BannerStore“. Right click on “BannerStore” and then click on “Rename” to rename it.
5. Rename the key folder to “BannerStoreOld“.
6. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete together from your keyboard to open security window, now click on “Sign Out” to sign out from your computer.
7. Again sign in to your computer.
The problem will be solved as you sign-in and there will be no loop crashes further.
Fix-2 Run SFC and DISM scan-
1. To open an elevated Command Prompt window, type “cmd” in the Search box beside Windows icon.
2. Then right click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and then click on “Run as administrator“.
3. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste these three commands one-by-one and hit Enter to execute these commands sequentially on your computer.
sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth
All of these commands will take a while to scan/ repair your system files.
Once done, close Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer to complete the scanning process.
Try to run the application on your computer again. Check if the error is
still there or not.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.