Shortage of space in C: drive can slow down your computer heavily. It affects the boot time, lowers the cache storage options and ultimately offers a stalling experience to its users. For most of the cases, C drive contains unnecessary numbers of Restore Points, temporary files, Windows Update files etc. Emptying these particulars will solve this issue for you.
Try these fixes to clean up unnecessary files and eradicate the shortage of space issue-
Fix-1 Delete unnecessary Restore Points-
Deleting unnecessary restore points will solve this issue for you.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window on your computer.
2. Now, copy-paste or type “sysdm.cpl” and then hit Enter.
System Properties window will be opened.
3. Go to “System Protection” tab.
4. Then, click on “Configure” to configure the restore point settings, manage disk spaces.
5. You can notice ‘Current Usage:‘ which is the space acquired by the Restore Points.
6. Click on “Delete” to delete unnecessary restore points from your computer.
7. Click on “Continue” to confirm the deletion process.
8. After deleting the restore points, click on “Create” to create a new restore point on your computer.
9. Now, name the restore point as you wish.
10. Then, click on “Create” to create a new restore point on your computer.
You have to wait for a while as this process may take a while.
11. At the last step, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Close System Properties window.
You will notice an increase in the empty space in C: drive.
Fix-2 Use Disk Cleanup to clean C: drive-
Disk Cleanup is a fine tool to clean up un-necessary files from your drives.
1. Press Windows+R to launch Run.
2. Now, copy-paste this command in Run and hit Enter.
Disk Cleanup window will be opened.
2. In Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection window, from the option “Drives:“, select the drive where you have installed Windows. (For us it is ‘C:’)
3. Now, in the “Files to delete:” option, check every options in the list.
4. Next, click on “Clean up system files” to clear the system file from your computer.
5. Then, click on “OK” to start the cleanup process on your computer.
6. If you receive confirmation message, click on “Delete Files“.
Disk Cleanup process will take a few minutes to clean up the junk file from your system.
After the cleanup process is completed, reboot your computer.
It should clear a huge amount of junk files from your computer.
Fix-3 Delete Download folder in Software Distribution folder-
Download folder of Software Distribution folder contains the Windows Update resources on your computer. Emptying it will save some space.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run,
2. Then copy-paste this folder location and hit Enter.
Note- Replace “C:” with the drive letter of your Windows installation drive.
Download folder will be opened in File Explorer window.
2. In Download folder, press Ctrl+A to select all the folders at once and press “Delete” from your keyboard to empty the SoftwareDistribution folder.
After deleting the files, close File Explorer window.
Now, you have to empty the Recycle Bin.
3. Press Windows key+X and then click on “Powershell (admin)“.
Click on “Yes” to confirm the User Account Control in your computer.
Powershell window will be opened.
4. In Powershell window, copy-paste this command in Powershell window and hit Enter.
Clear-RecycleBin -force -ErrorAction:Ignore
Recycle Bin will be emptied.
After executing the command close Powershell window.
You will see a lot of free spaces in the drive.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.