Shortage of space in C: drive can slow down your computer heavily. It affects the boot time, lowers the cache storage options, and ultimately offers a stalling experience to its users. For most of the cases, C drive contains unnecessary numbers of Restore Points, temporary files, Windows Update files, etc. Emptying these particulars will solve this issue for you.
Try these fixes to clean up unnecessary files and eradicate the shortage of space issue-
Fix-1 Delete unnecessary Restore Points-
Deleting unnecessary restore points will solve this issue for you.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window on your computer.
2. Now, copy-paste or type “sysdm.cpl” and then hit Enter.
The system Properties window will be opened.
3. Go to “System Protection” tab.
4. Then, click on “Configure” to configure the restore point settings, manage disk spaces.
5. You can notice ‘Current Usage:‘ which is the space acquired by the Restore Points.
6. Click on “Delete” to delete unnecessary restore points from your computer.
7. Click on “Continue” to confirm the deletion process.
8. After deleting the restore points, click on “Create” to create a new restore point on your computer.
9. Now, name the restore point as you wish.
10. Then, click on “Create” to create a new restore point on your computer.
You have to wait for a while as this process may take a while.
11. At the last step, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Close System Properties window.
You will notice an increase in the empty space in C: drive.
Fix-2 Use Disk Cleanup to clean C: drive-
Disk Cleanup is a fine tool to clean up unnecessary files from your drives.
1. To launch a Run window, press Windows+R.
2. Now, to launch the Disk Cleanup, copy-paste this command in Run and hit Enter.
3. In Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection window, from the option “Drives:“, you have to select the drive where you have installed Windows.
(For us it is ‘C:’)
3. Now, in the “Files to delete:” option, check all the options in the list.
4. After that, click on “Clean up system files“.
5. Then, click on “OK” to start the cleanup process on your computer.
6. When you receive a confirmation message, click on “Delete Files“.
Disk Cleanup process will take a few minutes to clean up all the junk files from your system.
Once the cleanup process is completed, reboot your computer. It should clear a huge amount of junk files from your computer.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.