If you see an error message stating “There were problems installing some updates“, Windows update process on your computer will not be complete. This problem is usually related to corruption in SoftwareDistribution folder or by running a SFC scan. Emptying it will solve this issue. Try out these workarounds first and if they doesn’t work out, go for the solutions.
1. Windows Update requires a reboot to complete the process. Reboot your computer and check if it helps.
2. If you are using an antivirus software, disable it for a while (Switch the real time protection ‘Off‘). Then try to update your Windows again.
If you still can’t update your computer, go for these easy solutions-
Fix- Empty SoftwareDistribution folder-
1. Click on the Search box and then type “cmd“.
2. Now, right click on “Command Prompt” and then click on “Run as administrator“.
Command Prompt window will be opened.
3. Now, copy these commands one by one and paste those in Command Prompt window, and press Enter after each command to execute them. This will temporarily stall the necessary components of Windows Update service.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
Once you have executed all the commands, minimize the Command Prompt window.
4. Again, press Windows key+R together to launch Run, and then copy-paste this line in Command Prompt window and then hit Enter.
Note– Replace “C:” with the drive letter of your Windows installation drive.
Download folder will be opened in File Explorer window.
5. Now, press Ctrl+A to select all the folders and press “Delete” to empty the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Close File Explorer window.
6. Maximize the Command Prompt window.
Now, you have to start the necessary Windows Update services again.
7. In order to do so copy and paste these following commands one by one in Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each command to execute them-
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Now, reboot your computer. After rebooting, check if you can update your system.
If this doesn’t help, go for the next fix.
Fix-2 Run SFC and DISM scan-
Running SFC and DISM scan on your computer will solve any corruption issue of the system file.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window.
2. In Run window, type “cmd” and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
Command Prompt window will be opened with administrative rights.
3. In Command Prompt window, type or copy-paste these commands and hit Enter to execute these commands.
sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Both of these processes will take some time.
After executing both of these commands, close Command Prompt window.
To complete the scanning process, reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, try to update your computer again.
Your problem will be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.