Sandbox feature is one of the few features which are unique to only Windows 10 Pro edition. Sandbox feature is not available with Windows 10 Home. Sandbox provides a separate room for an user to run any application within it, which will not affect any other application or the user’s operating system. This is a very crucial feature to test out applications from unknown sources which otherwise may harm the system.
If you are facing any difficulty accessing Sandbox feature in Windows 10 Pro simply follow these fixes.
Fix-1 Turn Sandbox feature ‘ON’ from Windows Features-
In order to access Sandbox feature, first you have to enable the feature from Windows Features.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. In Run window, type or copy-paste “optionalfeatures” and then hit Enter.
Windows Features window will be opened.
3. In Windows Features window, scroll down to the bottom and check the option “Windows Sandbox“.
4. Now, click on “OK” to start enabling the feature on your computer.
It may take a while.
5. When you will notice ‘Windows completed the requested changes.‘ Now, click on “Close” to close Windows Features window.
Your computer will be restarted.
After restarting your computer, check if the feature is enabled or not.
If still this doesn’t work out, go for the next fix.
Fix-2 Modify Security Properties of Sandbox-
If you don’t have full control of Windows Sandbox, you may not be able to access it properly.
1. Click on the Search box and then type “sandbox“.
2. In the elevated search result, right click on “Windows Sandbox” and then click on “Open file location“.
3. Now, again right click on “Sandbox” and then click on “Properties” to access it’s properties.
4. In Windows Sandbox Properties window, go to “Security” tab.
5. In Security window, click on “Edit” to modify the permission section.
6. In Permissions for Windows Sandbox window, select “Everyone” and then click on “Allow” of the option “Full control” to allow full control of the sandbox.
7. Finally, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Close File Explorer window.
8. Now, again click on Search box beside the Windows icon and then type “sandbox“.
9. Right click on “Windows Sandbox” from the elevated search result and then click on “Run as administrator” to open Sandbox as an admin.
It should be working fine.
Fix-3 Start-Stop necessary services-
Restarting critical services may work out for you.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window on your computer.
2. In Run window, type “services.msc” and then hit Enter to open Services.
3. In Services window, scroll down and double click on the “Network Virtualization Service” to access it’s properties.
4. In Network Virtualization Service Properties window, click on “Stop” to stop the service. Wait for a while as the service will be stopped in a while.
5. Now, click on “Start” to start the service again on your computer.
6. Finally, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes.
7. Next, same way scroll down and double click on “Virtual Disk” to start it.
8. In Virtual Disk Properties window, first, click on “Start” to start the stopped service. Wait for a while as the service will be started very soon.
10. Finally, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes.
11. Same way, scroll up to find and double click on “Hyper-V Host Computer Service” to modify it’s properties.
12. In Hyper-V Computer Service Properties window, at first, click on “Stop” to stop the service. Wait for a while as the service will be take a while to stop.
13. Then, click on “Start” to start the service again on your computer.
14. Next, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes.
15. Coming back to Services window, again scroll up and double click on “Container Manager Service” to restart it.
16. In Container Manager Service Properties window, click on “Stop” to stop the service first. It will just a few seconds.
17. Now, click on “Start” to resume the service again. It will also started within seconds.
18. At the last step, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes.
After restarting all these services on your computer, close Services window.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer try to open Windows Sandbox as an administrator.
Windows Sandbox should work normally.
Your problem should be fixed.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.