Every application comes along with new releases to the existing version or patches to resolve issues and add new features. Similarly, games on Steam also have new releases/patches to the existing version. Being a gamer, you would love to experience and use new features and functionality included in a game and you would update to the latest version of the game. But, there are chances that this game update may mess up things on your system like performance. Many users have been facing this issue with the update to a Steam game and would like to downgrade the version of the Steam game.
If you are one such user facing this trouble with a new update to one of your favorite games on Steam, then you must continue reading this post. Here, you will find the steps that can help you roll back your favorite Steam game to its older version.
Rollback Steam Game to Older Version
Step 1: Enable Steam Beta Participation
1. Launch the Steam application.
Click on the Steam menu.
Select the Settings option in the sub-menu.
2. In the Settings window, select the Account tab in the left pane.
On the right side, in the Beta participation section click on Change… to open the Beta Participation window in Steam.
3. In the window that opens, use the dropdown box and select Steam Beta Update under Beta Participation.
Then, click on OK.
Finally, click on OK in the Settings window to close it.
4. You will see a pop window that requires you to restart Steam in order for the settings to take effect.
Click on the Restart Steam button so that the changes come into effect.
Then, move over to the next step to roll back the Steam game to its previous version.
Step 2: Downgrade Game to Previous Version
1. Open Steam after enabling Beta participation.
Click on the Library tab.
2. In the list of Games in the left panel, right-click on the game which you want to downgrade and choose Properties.
In the Properties window for this game, select the Betas tab on the left side.
On the right, use the dropdown box below the text “Select the beta you would like to opt into:”, and choose the previous version or patch from the list.
Close the Properties window.
3. You will now see that Steam starts to download and install the previous version/patch that you selected for the game.
Once the installation completes, you can launch the game and check if it works without any issues.
Thanks for reading.
Did you find this article informative enough in downgrading your Steam game to an older version than the one currently running? Please let us know your opinions and thoughts on the same in the comments section below.
A software engineer turned into an educator with vast teaching experience in universities. Currently working towards my passion for writing.