Windows always tend to struggle when it comes to High DPI scaling. Though from generation to generation of Windows OS, the situation is improving, and as a result, Windows 11 is quite good at this. But, there are still some issues with scaling in High DPI, mainly with the third-party apps. This actually is very notable if you are using a monitor with a native resolution of 1440p or 2160p. Just, follow these solutions to fix the high DPI issues.
Fix 1 – Adjust the DPI Scaling feature for individual app
If you are experiencing this issue with a particular app or a set of apps, you can fix it very easily.
1. At first, type the name of the app where you are facing this issue.
2. Then, right-click on the app and tap on “Open File Location“.
Usually, this will open up the location of the main executable file. If it isn’t the case, you may have to manually appear at the location of the app in File Explorer.
3. Once you have located the app, right-click on it and tap on “Properties“.
4. Then, go to the “Compatibility” tab.
5. Here, tap on the “Change high DPI settings“.
6. Now, go to the ‘High DPI scaling override’ settings.
7. Then, check the “Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:” option.
8. After that, choose the “System (Enhanced)” option from the drop-down list.
9. Finally, tap on “OK“.
10. Once you are done, tap on “OK” to save this setting.
This will solve the issue for this specific app. You can easily test it.
Fix 2 – Adjust the Settings
There is a way that you can use to control the display scaling throughout your system settings.
1. At first, press the Windows key+I keys together.
2. Then, tap on the “System” settings.
3. After that, on the right-hand pane, tap on the “Display” settings.
This will open up the Display settings.
4. Now, locate the “Scale” option on the right-hand side.
5. Here, you can easily toggle the scale from the drop-down. Just set the value to 125% from the list.
Launch the app on your system and check. If this solves the error then you can skip any further steps. You can also alter the scale and test.
6. If you see that the drop-down list is greyed out and you can’t modify the scaling, tap the arrow button in the “Scale” settings.
7. Now, here, just write the percentage of scaling you want. [Like, if you want 125% scaling, just type “125“.]
8. Then, tap on the tick mark to set the scaling to that.
9. Almost immediately, you will be asked to sign out from your system.
10. Just, tap on “Sign out now” to sign out from the machine.
You will be signed out from your system. Now, just sign back into the system and test the app.
Fix 3 – Check the resolution on both monitors
[FOR MULTIPLE MONITOR USERS]
If you are using a multiple monitor system of different default resolutions, you may face this issue.
1. At first, open the Settings window.
2. Then, tap on the “System” settings on the left-hand side.
3. After that, click on the “Display” on the right-hand side.
4. Now, select the display in which you want to perform this change.
5. Then, scroll down to find the “Display resolution“.
6. Tap on it and set the resolution of the screen to the recommended one.
[We have set it to “1920*1080“.]
This way, adjust the second monitor to use its recommended resolution also.
Try to use the same resolution on both monitors. This may fix the High DPI issues on your system.
Fix 4 – Make sure the GPU driver is the latest
If you are using an older version of GPU, you may face this issue.
We have shown how to check for the latest NVIDIA drivers from the GeForce Experience app. If you are using a different graphics card, you can do the same from the respective card manufacturer’s website.
1. At first, open the GeForce Experience app.
2. Then, tap on the “Drivers” tab.
3. Now on “Download” to download the latest version of the driver.
This will download the latest version of the graphics driver.
4. Once it is downloaded, tap on “Express installation“.
All you have to do is wait for the installation process to be complete.
Now, check whether this solves your issue or not.
Fix 5 – Install the latest Windows Update
Windows releases the latest update patches every once in a while.
1. At first, open the Settings app.
2. Now, click on “Windows Update“.
3. On the right-hand pane, tap on “Check for updates“.
4. If Windows can find an update, tap on “Download now” to download the latest update.
Let Windows download and install the update package on your system. Once you are done, close the Settings and restart.
After restarting the system, check whether this solves the high DPI issue on your system.
Fix 6 – Uninstall and reinstall the app
If nothing is solving this issue, you have to uninstall and reinstall the problematic app.
1. At first, press the Windows key+X keys together.
2. Then, tap on the “Apps and Features“.
3. When the list of apps opens up in Settings, scroll down to locate the app.
4. After that, tap on the three-dot beside the app and tap on “Uninstall“.
This way, close the Settings.
After that, download/install the latest version of the app on your system.
The high DPI issue that you are currently facing should be fixed.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.