16 Free USB Encryption tools to Password Protect Your USB Drive: – Most of us love to own things that require less space and are easy to carry. Considering that we are on the go most of the times in this fast paced life, having a portable alternative is always a big solace. So when it comes to our computer data even in that case we would rather prefer to save it in the USB drives which are compact and portable.
USB drives are the perfect solution to save or backup any digital data that can be conveniently carried wherever you go. Moreover, using these pen drives you can also transfer data between computers.
While the USB flash drives are the most popular portable storage mediums based on the convenience and reliability, they are also prone to get lost, stolen or damaged. And, if you had any sensitive or private data in the USB it can be a great matter of concern. Hence, encryption of your USB drive becomes extremely imperative.
Encryption is a process of protecting information to prevent access by other users unless they have the password to unlock it. It is basically a process to protect highly confidential documents; however, it can be used by anyone to maintain the privacy of their stuff.
Therefore, today in this post we will let you know about the top free USB encryption software utilities that are available to download for free online that help you to not only encrypt your data but can also be locked with a password. This will help secure your data even if you forget your device somewhere ensuring that no one is able to manipulate your confidential data.
Rohos Disk Encryption
Rohos Disk Encryption is another powerful freeware by Rohos that helps prevent any external or unauthorized access to your USB data by creating concealed and secured partitions on your PC, and also by providing a password lock option. The other excellent features offered by this tool are:
- Automatic and on-the-fly encryption.
- Creating a backup with the help of the partition password reset option in case you forget your password or misplace the USB code.
- Easy to use as you can enable your first encrypted drive in just a single click.
- Offers you a unlimited number of extra encryption space.
- Allows you to use a USB drive to access all the protected disks automatically
- Lets you keep a secured partition on a USB drive and then use it on any PC.
- Enables you to open the secured documents directly from the MS Word or Excel
- Does not need you to have administrator privileges to use your virtual drive on a USB
- Allows you to expand a virtually encrypted partition anytime
- Conceals you’re your protected disk in a media container like MP3, WMA, AVI and others.
Compatibility: All Windows versions
USB Flash Security
USB Flash Security helps enhance your potential to protect all your sensitive data in the USB device and prevent it from getting stolen. It is a portable app from Japan that can offer AES 256-bit encryption choices up to 4GB in its free adaptation.
- It is a lightweight application that is very efficient and useful in saving data
- Gets installed super quick
- Works with any USB stick type
- Requires admin rights for PC use
Compatibility: Windows XP, Windows 2003
If you wish to protect your sensitive files with a password, USB Safeguard can be your best option. This freeware is a portable solution with AES 256-bit encryption that is used to protect confidential data on a virtual drive like, a USB drive, memory card, SSD and hard drive.
- Data is strongly protected and can be only recovered with the correct key
- Encrypted partitions has a limit of up to 2GB for the free edition
- Functions right from the drive and hence does not require to be installed
- No requirement of admin rights
- User-friendly with a compact size of just 535.5KB
Compatibility: Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10
DiskCryptor is an open source application that helps encrypt all data that also includes system partitions. It works perfectly with Truecrypt which is another well-known open-source disk encryption tool.