If you are seeing an error message stating, “Windows Update error 0x80070424” on your computer then your system will not receive crucial updates unless you fix the problem manually. Simply, follow these easy steps and the problem will be solved easily.
Workarounds you can try–
1. Restart your computer and check if it helps.
2. Disable the antivirus and the firewall temporarily on your device, and then try updating your device.
Fix-1 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Running Windows Update Troubleshooter will detect any error with the Windows Update process on your computer.
1. Click on the Windows Icon to access the search box. Now, write “Troubleshoot settings“.
2. In the elevated search results, you have to click on the “Troubleshoot settings“.
3. Scroll down in the Settings window until you see the “Windows Update” troubleshooter.
4. Then, click on “Run the troubleshooter” to run a troubleshooter.
3. Now, you don’t have to do a thing except wait as the troubleshooter will run basic check for Windows Udpate faults.
4. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to go through these easy steps.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
3. When the troubleshooter has detected the issue, click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, try to update your system again.
Fix-2 Automate services from CMD-
You can automate the necessary services from the Command Prompt window.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
2. Type “cmd” and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together.
Command Prompt window will be opened with Administrative rights.
2. To program these 4 services to automatically startup at the time of rebooting, copy-paste these one-by-one and hit Enter.
sc config wuauserv start=auto sc config cryptSvc start=auto sc config bits start=auto sc config trustedinstaller start=auto
Once you have executed these commands on your computer, reboot your system and after rebooting, try to update your computer again.
Fix-3 Automate Windows Update service-
Automating Windows Update service on your computer may help you out.
1. Press the Windows key. Then, type “services” in the search bar.
2. Then, click on the “Services” on the search result.
The Services window will be opened.
2. When the Services window opens up, scroll down to look for the “Windows Update” service. Double click on it to open its properties.
3. In Windows Update properties, click on ‘Startup type:‘ and choose “Automatic“.
4. Click on “Start” to start the process if the ‘Service Status:‘ is not “Running“.
5. After that, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
6. Coming back to Services window, right-click on “Windows Update” service and then click on “Restart” to restart the service on your computer.
Close Services window on your computer.
Check if this works or not.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.