Some Windows 10 users are complaining about an issue they are facing after updating their computer. According to them they are unable to see the icons on the Desktop window and an error message is popping up- ‘Desktop location is unavailable‘. If you are in the same situation, no need to worry. Simply, follow these fixes on your computer and the problem will be solved soon.
Fix-1 End File explorer process and start it again-
Ending file explorer process and then starting it again will reset any temporary files causing this issue at your end.
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open Task Manager window.
2. Now, go to ‘Processes‘ tab. Then, find and right click on “Windows Explorer” process and then click on “End Task” to terminate the process.
Windows Explorer process will be terminated.
3. In Task Manager window, click on “File” on the menu-bar. Then, click on “Run new task“.
4. In Create a new task window, copy-paste or type “explorer.exe” in the box.
5. Now, click on “OK” to open File Explorer on your computer.
The problem will not happen. Check if this works, otherwise go for the next solution.
Fix-2 Manually copy-paste Desktop folder-
If this problem continues to bother you, manually copy-pasting the desktop folder will work out for you.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. Now, copy-paste this location in Run window and hit Enter.
Default folder will be opened in File Explorer window.
3. Click on “View” in the menu-bar and then check the option “hidden items” to view the hidden items in File Explorer.
4. Now, right click on “Desktop” folder and then click on “Copy” to copy the folder.
4. In File Explorer window, navigate to this location-
5. Now, press ‘Ctrl+V‘ to paste the “Desktop” folder in the systemprofile location.
Once done, close File Explorer window.
Reboot your computer to let the changes take effect.
The error will be fixed.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.