The automatic login feature allows users to log in to their computer automatically without entering the password every time. A few users have recently complained about missing this automatic login feature on their computer after resetting or receiving a new update patch. Don’t worry. Usually, an alternation in the settings triggers this error. You can easily toggle this setting back to normal by following the steps mentioned below.
1. Just restart your computer once. Check if you can log in without a password.
2. Disable any antivirus that is running on your computer.
Fix 1 – Turn off Windows Hello sign-in requirements
1. At first, press the Windows key+I keys together.
2. Then, click on “Accounts” settings to access it.
3. Next, on the left-hand side, click on the “Sign-in options“.
4. After that, on the right-hand side, toggle the “Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts” feature to “Off“.
Close the Settings window.
1. Press the Windows key+R keys together.
2. Then, write this run-command. Next, hit Enter.
3. When the User Accounts window appears, go to the “Users” tab.
4. Now, uncheck the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.”
5. Finally, click on “Apply” to save this modification.
A new dialog box will appear on your screen.
6. Here, type in the account password in the “Password:” box.
7. Redo the same feat in the “Confirm Password:” box.
8. Finally, tap on the “OK” to complete the process.
9. Coming back to the ‘User accounts’ window, click on “OK“.
Then, close the User Accounts window.
Restart your computer and check if this has worked.
After that, open the User Account settings and check if you can log in automatically or not.
Fix 2 – Edit the registry
Altering the registry should fix the problem.
1. Press the Windows key+R keys together.
2. In the Run panel, write down “regedit” and click on “OK“.
Any unaccounted changes in the Registry Editor may lead to an unstable system. We request you to make a backup of the registry on your computer.
Once you have opened the Registry Editor, click on “File“. Then click on “Export” to make a new backup on your computer.
3. Now, go to this header file, on the left-hand side –
4. Then, on the right-hand side, right-click on the space and click on “New>” and then click on “DWORD (32-bit) Value“.
5. Name the key as “DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion“.
6. After that, double-click on the key to modify it.
7. Set the value of the key as “0“.
8. Click on “OK“.
Just close the Registry Editor. Restart your machine to see the changes yourselves.
If the registry fix doesn’t work for you, try this approach –
1. Open the Registry Editor.
2. Then, go here –
3. Next, on the right-hand side, check for the “DefaultUserName” value.
4. Simply, double-click on the particular value.
5. Make sure that the value mentioned in the ‘Value data’ box is your account name.
6. If you are satisfied with this, click on “OK“.
7. On the same right-hand pane, check if you can detect a value named “DefaultPassword”.
8. If you can’t find it, right-click on the space and click on “New>” and then click on “String value“.
9. Name this new value as “DefaultPassword“.
10. Now, just double-click on this “DefaultPassword” key to edit it.
11. Here, enter your account password in the ‘Value Data:’ box.
12. Finally, to save it, click on “OK“.
13. Now, on the same page, look for the “AutoAdminLogon” entry.
14. Then, double click on that particular value to edit it.
15. After that, set the value to “1“.
16. Finally, click on “OK” to save this modification.
Close the Registry Editor window.
Don’t forget to restart your computer once. This should enable the automatic login process on the machine.
Further, if you want to disable the automatic login facility, follow these steps.
a. Open the Registry Editor.
b. In the Registry Editor, expand to this location –
c. Now, double click on the “AutoAdminLogon“.
d. Then set the value of this key “0“.
e. Click on “OK” to save the value.
Restart the machine, once.
This way, you can disable the automatic logging facility on your computer.
Fix 3 – Use Autologon
Autologon is a tool, designed by Microsoft to manage the automatic logging facility for domain users.
1. At first, download the “Autologon“.
2. Then, unzip the “Autologon” in a location of your choice.
3. Once you have unzipped the files. Go to the location where you have unzipped them.
4. Now, double click on the “Autologon64” to access it.
You can also use the “Autologon” application if you are using a 32-bit system. Otherwise, if you are using the system running on an ARM processor, use the “Autologon64a“.
5. Click on “Agree“.
6. In the Autologon-Sysinternals window, you will see the ‘Password:’ section already filled up.
Otherwise, put your account password.
7. Then, click on “Enable” to enable the autologon feature on your computer.
Once you have enabled the feature, restart your computer.
Check if it is auto-login to your device.
Alternate fix – Use Windows Hello sign-in feature
Alternatively, you can use Windows Hello sign-in feature to log in to your computer.
1. Open the Settings screen on your computer.
2. Then, click on “Accounts” settings.
3. On the left-hand side, click on the “Sign-in options“.
4. After that, on the left-hand pane, you will notice three options called, ‘Windows Hello Face‘, ‘Windows Hello Fingerprint‘, and ‘Windows Hello PIN‘.
You can use any of these sign-in options to log in without entering the hefty passwords every time you are trying to log in to the system.
5. Simply, click on the particular setting and click on “Add“.
6. Then, click on “Next“.
7. When you are asked, enter the Microsoft account password.
8. Click on “Sign in“.
9. Then, type in a 4 – digit PIN.
10. Confirm the PIN again in the same box.
11. Finally, click on “OK” to save it.
This way, you can easily set up a PIN for your computer. Whenever you will try to log in to the system, just enter the PIN, and you will be able to access it without any further issues.