Are you seeing an error message ‘The directory or file cannot be created Error Code- 0x8007005‘ trying to create a new directory or file on a USB drive? If indeed you are seeing this error message on your computer, don’t worry. There must be a problem with the USB drive itself. Simply follow these easy fixes to solve the problem quickly.
Fix-1 Run Error Checking for the drive-
If there is any problem with the drive, running an error checking tool can identify and fix the problem.
1. To open File Explorer on your computer, press Windows key+E keys together.
2. In the File Explorer window, on the left-hand side click on “This PC” to visualize all the drives on your computer.
3. Right-click on the drive you are facing trouble with and then click on “Properties“.
4. In the USB Drive (F:) Properties window, go to the “Tools” tab.
5. Under Error Checking section, click on “Check“.
6. Now, click on “Scan and repair drive“.
Once the repair process is over, click on “Close” to close the Error Checking window.
Now, try to access the drive again on your computer.
Fix-2 Change USB format-
Changing the USB format may solve the problem.
1. Press Windows key+E to open the File Explorer.
2. Now, in the File Explorer window, on the left-hand side, click on “This PC” to see all the drives on your computer.
3. Now, right-click on the pen drive. Then, click on “Format” to start formatting the drive.
4. Now, click on the ‘File system‘.
5. Then, click on the drop-down and then click on “FAT32 (Default)“.
5. Now, click on “Start” to start the formatting process.
4. After formatting, click on “Close” to finish the formatting process.
Now, create a new folder in the drive.
Your problem should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.