Windows 10 Update throws up the error code- 0xC1900101 mainly due to the corrupted SoftwareDistribution folder. In case, when troubleshooting the issues with Windows Update if you encounter the same error code, follow these easy fixes to fix the update issue on your computer.
Fix-1 Automate services from CMD-
There are some services that are necessary for the Windows Update process to perform smoothly.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
2. Then, type “cmd” in Run window and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter together.
Command Prompt window will be opened with Administrative rights.
3. Now, copy–paste these commands one by one in Command Prompt window, and press Enter after each command to execute them sequentially.
sc config wuauserv start=auto sc config cryptSvc start=auto sc config bits start=auto sc config trustedinstaller start=auto
These services will be started and configured to start automatically every time your system boots up.
After executing these commands on your computer, reboot your system.
After rebooting, check Windows Update status.
Fix-2 Rename SoftwareDistribution folder-
Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer will fix this issue for sure. Follow these steps minutely-
1. Click on the search box beside the Windows icon and then type “cmd“.
2. Then, right-click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and choose “Run as administrator“.
Command Prompt with administrative rights will be opened.
3. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands sequentially and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands sequentially on your computer.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. Now, again copy-paste these two commands sequentially in Command Prompt window and hit Enter.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
5. Again in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one by one and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands on your computer.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Some services which were stopped before will be started again.
Once when all the commands are executed on your computer, close the Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer and after rebooting your computer check for updates once again.
Fix-3 Try Windows Update Troubleshooting-
Windows Update Troubleshooter can determine the update issue on your computer and fix it.
1. Click on the Windows icon and then click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
4. Now, on the right-hand side, click on “Additional troubleshooters“.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
8. Again, click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Reboot your computer.
Fix-4 Empty Download folder in Safe Mode-
If nothing is working out for you, you can try emptying the Download folder manually.
But first, you need to boot your computer in Safe Mode–
1. Press Windows Icon+I to open the Settings window.
2. Now, click on “Update and Security“.
3. Now, on the left pane, click on “Recovery“,
4. Then, under “Advanced Startup” section, click on “Restart Now“.
5. In Choose an option window, click on “Troubleshoot“.
6. In the Troubleshoot window, click on “Advanced options“.
7. In the Advanced options window, click on the “Startup Settings“.
8. Now, click on “Restart” to restart your computer in safe mode.
9. Now, you will be shown options of Startup Settings. Press 4 to “Enable Safe Mode“.
In Safe Mode, the background of your desktop will be black.
10. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
11. Now, copy-paste this line in Run window and hit Enter.
Note– Replace “C:” with the drive letter of your Windows installation drive.
The download folder will be opened in the File Explorer window.
12. Now, press Ctrl+A to select all the contents of the folder and then press “Delete” to empty the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Close File Explorer window.
Reboot your computer. It will be booted normally.
Check if this works.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.