System Restore is a life saving feature of Windows as it literally can retrieve your computer back from a fatal flaw to a state before the problem had occurred. Though there is a chance of losing some data and files, but still System Restore is still significant today because of it’s uniquity. Some time while running system restore from a restore point, you may face this error message stating “System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point“. Don’t worry. Simply, follow theses steps on your computer and the problem will be solved pretty quickly.
Fix-System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point problem in Windows 10
Follow these steps minutely to solve the issue first-
If your computer has incurred a fatal flaw in your system, Automatic Repair window should open automatically.
But, in case if the Automatic Repair doesn’t open automatically, you have to open the window manually-
1. Make sure your computer is turned ‘Off”.
2. Now, start your computer and as soon as the manufacturer’s logo (like- Dell, HP etc) is visible, press and hold the power key for 3-4 seconds to force shutdown your device.
3. Keep repeating this process of start-force shutdown-start for 3 times and at 4th time let your computer start normally.
You will see Automatic Repair window.
4. Click on “Advanced options“.
5. In Choose an option window, click on “Troubleshoot“.
6. In Troubleshoot window, click on “Advanced options“.
7. In the Advanced options window, click on the “Command Prompt“.
8. Now, choose a account with Administrative privilege. Enter your account password and click on “Continue“.
Command Prompt window should be opened in Troubleshooting mode.
9. To get ownership of ‘WindowsApps‘ folder, in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one-by-one and then hit Enter after pasting each of the commands.
cd Program Files
takeown /f WindowsApps
10. Same way, in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one-by-one and then hit Enter after pasting each of the commands.
icacls WindowsApps /grant Administrators:F
attrib WindowsApps -h
rename WindowsApps WindowsApps.old
Close Command Prompt window.
Restore your computer from a Restore Point-
Now, follow these steps to restore your computer from restore point-
1. Coming back to ‘Choose an option‘ window, click on “Troubleshoot“.
2. In Troubleshooting window, click on “Advanced options“.
3. In Advanced options window, click on “System Restore” to start the system restore process on your computer.
System restore process will put your computer back to the state when it was working fine.
4. In System Restore window, click on “Next“.
5. Choose the restore point from the list of the restore points and then click on “Next“.
6. Click on “Finish” to finish the process.
This will initialize the restoration process of your system to the system restore point you have selected.
Wait patiently as this process will take some time.
Your system will be restored back to the restore point you have selected.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.