If the printing process on your computer is stalling and showing this error message ‘Runtime Error 482‘, then your system is unable to use the Windows library functions from some applications. This error may also be caused by the pdf application you are using to print the document. Follow these easy fixes to solve the issue on your computer.
Fix-1 Uninstall and reinstall Printer driver-
Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver will solve this ‘Runtime Error 482‘.
1. Press Windows key+R to open the Run window.
2. In the Run window, type “devmgmt.msc” and then hit Enter.
The Device Manager window will open.
3. When the Device Manager window opens, expand “Print queues“.
3. Then, right-click on the printer device you are currently using (For this computer, it is the “HP DJ 1110 series“), and click on “Uninstall device“.
4. Then, when you see a prompt, stating ‘Warning: You are about to uninstall this device from your system‘, click on “Uninstall” uninstall the driver.
Close the Device Manager window once the printer driver is uninstalled from your computer.
Now, follow these methods-
Method-1 Restart your system-
Restarting your system is the easiest way to reinstall the uninstalled printer driver. When your computer boots up, Windows will identify and reinstall the missing driver.
Method-2 Manually reinstall the driver-
If you still can’t see the printer driver on your computer, scanning your system for hardware change may solve the issue-
1. Press Windows key+X together and then click on the “Device Manager“.
2. When the Device Manager window has opened, click on “Action“.
3. Next, click on “Scan for hardware changes“.
You will see the printer driver again.
Method-3 Use ‘Add a printer‘ option-
1. Click on the Search box beside Windows icon and type “Printers & Scanners“.
2. Now, in the elevated search results window, click on the “Printers & Scanners“.
3. In the Settings window, on the left-hand side, check if you can see your printer in the list of installed devices.
4. If you can’t see the printer in the Settings window, simply click on “Add a printer or scanner“.
Windows will now look for available printer devices.
5. In a while, you will see the printer device in the Settings window.
Close the Settings window. Now, try to print the document again.
Fix 2 – Clean Print Spooler files
1. Type “cmd” in the Search box beside the Windows icon.
2. Then right-click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and then click on “Run as administrator“.
3. In the Command Prompt window, copy-paste this command and hit Enter to stop the spooler service.
net stop spooler
4. To delete the printing spooler files on your computer, copy-paste this command in Command Prompt and then hit Enter.
DEL /F /S /Q %systemroot%System32spoolPRINTERS
5. Now, you have to start the spooler service again. To do so, copy-paste this command and hit Enter.
net start spooler
When you see that the “The Printer Spooler service was started successfully.” message has appeared, close the Command Prompt window.
Now, try to print something again.
Fix 3 – Uninstall and reinstall Adobe Acrobat Reader
As we have discussed previously, pdf applications may cause this type of problem.
[NOTE- We are illustrating the process taking Adobe Reader as an example. If you are using any other PDF reader on your computer, following similar steps you can solve the issue.]
1. Type “Adobe Reader” in the Search box.
2. Now, right-click on the “Adobe Reader” in the search result and then click on “Run as administrator“.
3. In the Programs and Features window, scroll down through the list of installed applications to find “Adobe Acrobat Reader“.
4. Right-click on it and then click on “Uninstall“.
5. If you see an error message appears, click on “Yes” to confirm the uninstallation of “Adobe Acrobat Reader DC“.
Wait for a while as this uninstallation process may take a while.
Close the Programs and Features window.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, follow these steps to install the PDF reader.
6. After that, visit the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC official website.
7. Click on “Download Acrobat Reader“.
8. Now, choose a location to save the installer on your computer.
9. Click on “Save” to save it.
Close the browser window.
10. Go to the location on your computer.
11. Double click on the installer to start the installation process.
12. Once the installation process is done, click on “Finish“.
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will be installed on your device.
Now, try to print the file from Adobe Reader DC. The error message won’t bother you again.
Fix 4 – Uninstall and reinstall .NET and VC++ packages
Uninstall and re-install every .NET and VC++ on your computer.
STEP 1 – Uninstall and reinstall VC++ packages
1. Press Windows key+S and type “Programs and Features“.
2. Now, click on the “Programs and Features” in the elevated search result.
3. In Program and Features window, scroll down to look for ‘Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables‘.
4. Note down the ‘year‘ and ‘architecture‘ of that redistributable.
(Example– In our case, the year is “2010” and the architecture is “x64“)
5. Right-click on the “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistibuatables” and then click on “Uninstall“.
6. Now, click on “Yes” to start the uninstallation process.
Once the uninstallation process is done, minimize the Control Panel window.
7. Now, open a browser window on your computer.
8. Then, search for the “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable” along with the year and the architecture.
(Example– We have searched for “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)”. )
9. Click on “Download Microsoft Visual C++“.
10. Then, scroll down through the webpage and click on “Download“.
11. Now, choose a favorable location on your drive and then click on “Save” to save the file at the location.
12. Now, go to the downloaded location on your computer. Double click on “vc_redist.x64” to start the installation process.
13. Now, follow the on-screen instructions and complete the installation.
14. Click on “Finish” to finish the installation process.
Maximize the Control Panel window again.
15. This way, uninstall and reinstall all these VC++ redistributables from your computer one-by-one following the previous steps.
When you have finished doing these, close the Control Panel window.
STEP 2 – Install .NET Framework
Now, you have to enable the .NET Framework on your computer.
1.. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. In Run window, type or copy-paste “optionalfeatures” and then hit Enter.
Windows Features window will be opened.
3. In the Windows Features window, check the option “.NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Series“.
4. Then, click on “OK“.
Windows Features will now install the latest .NET Framework on your computer.
In case if you face any problem, follow these steps to install the framework manually.
1. Open a browser window.
2. Now, search for “NET Download“.
3. Click on the search result “Download .NET framework“.
4. Now, in the list of .NET Frameworks, click on the latest one on the top.
(Example- .NET Framework 4.8 is the latest one in my case)
5. Then, click on “.NET Framework 4.8 Runtime” to download the installer.
Close the browser window.
6. Go to the location where you have downloaded the file.
7. Double-click on “ndp48-web.exe“.
Follow the on-screen instructions to install .NET framework on your computer.
8. Click on “Close” to close the installer window.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer try to print the document again.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.