Ntoskrnl.exe is a system application which manages essential items like hardware virtualization, process and memory management in Windows 10. Sometimes, bad or out-dated device drivers, malware or viruses and even corrupted system files may cause abnormality of Ntoskrnl.exe. The main abnormality of Ntoskrnl.exe includes consumption of huge amount of processing power and/ or available free memory.
But before going ahead for the main fixes you should attempt these workarounds-
1. Run a full scan for virus or malware on your system files.
2. Check if any Windows Update is pending or not.
If these didn’t work out go for these fixes-
Fix-1 Modify Registry-
Modify registry to clear paged files at shutdown may solve this issue.
Before going ahead to the main fix, we strongly suggest you to create a a backup of the registry on your computer. After opening Registry Editor, click on “File” > “Export” to create the backup.
If anything goes wrong you can retrieve your registry by simply importing the backup.
1. Click on the Search box and then type “regedit“.
2. Now, click on “Registry Editor” from the search results to open it on your computer.
3. In Registry Editor window, on the left hand side, navigate to this location-
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
4. On the right hand side of the same window, double click on “ClearPageFileAtShutdown” to modify it.
5. In Edit D-WORD (32-bit) Value window, set the ‘Value Data‘ to “1“.
6. Now, click on “OK” to save the changes.
Now, close Registry Editor window.
Reboot your computer and then check if this work or not.
Fix-2 Disable Runtime Broker-
Run this registry script to disable Runtime Broker on your computer.
1. Right click in the empty space of Desktop and then click on “New>” and then click on “Text document“.
2. Now, double click on ‘New Text Document‘ to open it.
Notepad window will be opened.
3. In the Notepad window, copy-paste these lines.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\TimeBroker] “Start”=dword:00000003 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SysMain] “DisplayName”=”Superfetch” “Start”=dword:00000003
4. In Notepad window, click on “File” in the menu-bar and then click on “Save as…“.
7. In Save As window, name the file as “Regfix.reg” and choose “All Files” from the file type.
8. Choose a particular location to store the file.
9. Finally, click on “Save” to save the file on your computer.
Close Notepad window.
10. Go to the location where you have just saved the file.
11. Now, right click on “Regfix.reg” script and then click on “Merge” to merge it with your original registry.
12. If you receive a warning message, just click on “Yes” to run the script on your computer.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting, Ntoskrnl.exe will not consume high amount of processing power.
Fix-3 Free virtual memory from Windows drive-
Freeing paged file from your Windows drive may fix this issue.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window on your computer.
2. In Run window, type “sysdm.cpl” and then hit Enter to open System Properties.
3. In System Properties window, go to “Advanced” tab.
4. Under ‘Performance‘ tab, click on “Settings“.
5. In Performance Options window, no go to “Advanced” tab.
6. Now, in the option ‘Adjust for best performance of:‘ settings to “Program“.
7. Now, under ‘Virtual memory‘ section, click on “Change” to change paged file size change.
8. In Virtual Memory window, uncheck the option “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives“.
9. In order to free your Windows drive of paging files, follow these steps-
a. Select “C:” drive.
b. Click on “No paging size“.
c. Click on “Set” to set it.
10. If you see an warning message, click on “Yes” to confirm the change.
11. Click on “OK” when you have done setting page files.
12. In Performance Options window, click on “Apply” and then click on “OK” to save the changes.
13. Finally, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Reboot your computer.
After resetting the virtual memory on your computer Ntoskrnl.exe will stop consuming high amount of CPU or available memory power.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.