While upgrading your Windows or installing a fresh copy of Windows 10, you may encounter a rare error message stating ‘Modern setup host has stopped working’. Don’t worry. We have curated some easy fixes addressing this issue particularly. Follow them and the problem will be gone in a while.
Preliminary checks to do~
a. Check if the hard disk partition that holds Windows 10 actually has 15-30 GB free storage. If not, empty some files from the drive and try re-updating the OS.
b. Sometimes a fresh reboot may do the trick.
Fix 1 – Modify different settings
1. Press Windows key+I.
2. Then, you need to click on the “System” settings to access it.
3. On the left-side, click on the “Notifications & actions“.
4. After that you need to uncheck the “Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows”.
5. Click on the “Home” to go back.
6. Then, you need to click on “Personalization“.
7. On the left-hand section, go to the “Start“.
8. After that, you need to toggle the ‘Show suggestions occasionally in Start‘ to “Off“.
9. Then, you need to click on “Home” again.
10. Reaching back to the Settings window, click on “Privacy” section.
11. On the left-hand side of the window, click on “Background apps“.
12. Now, simply toggle any application you don’t want to run in the background to “Off“.
Close the Settings window. Restart your device.
This should fix the issue for you.
Fix 2 – Modify Indexing options
Modifying the indexing option is also another solution to this issue.
1. Press Windows key along side with the ‘R‘ key.
2. Then copy-paste this code and click on “OK“.
3. When the Indexing Options window appears, you need to click on “Modify“.
4. As the next step you need to uncheck every box in the ‘Change selected locations’.
5. When you have done so, click on “OK” at the bottom part of your screen.
Close the Indexing Options window.
Restart your system and the problem should be fixed.
Fix 3 – Run SFC and DISM scan
Try running an SFC and DISM scan on your computer to check out if any corrupted file is causing this issue.
1. Press the Windows key and write “Command Prompt“.
2. Then just press ‘Enter‘ from your keyboard.
3. When the Command Prompt appears on your window, to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan, type this code and hit Enter.
4. To run a Deployment Image and System Files scan, run this code just like the previous one.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Once both the scans are complete, reboot your device.
Fix 4 – Clean boot your computer
Clean booting your computer restricts third party software from booting up.
1. What you need to do at first to search “System Configuration“.
2. Simply click on the “System Configuration“.
3. Once you are in the System Configuration window, click on the “General“.
4. Simply after that, select the “Selective startup” option.
5. After that, check the box beside the “Load system services.
6. After that, go to the “Services” section.
7. Next, click on the “Hide all Microsoft services“.
8. Finally, to disable the third-party services, click on “Disable all“.
8. Just click on “Apply” and “OK”.
Restart your system and try to run the update again.