Is Minecraft crashing continuously upon launching on your new Windows 11 machine? Game crashes are nothing new and just like any other game Minecraft isn’t exempted from occasional crash issues. But, if Minecraft is crashing continuously, there is an issue of concern. This might have occurred due to bad game files or due to the lack of proper graphics card updates.
Fix 1 – Update the graphics card
If Minecraft is crashing and showing up with this error message “Pixel format not accelerated“, there is a graphics driver update pending on your system.
1. Pressing the Windows key and the R keys together should open the Run terminal.
2. Later, write “devmgmt.msc” and tap on “OK“.
3. Now, just tap on the “Display adapters” to view all the adapters.
4. After that, right-click on the display driver and tap on “Update driver“.
5. Next, tap on the “Search automatically for drivers” on the window.
Let Windows download and install the latest graphics driver on your system.
Restart the system. Check whether this works.
If you are using a dedicated graphics card, you can directly use the dedicated app (like – Geforce Experience for NVIDIA cards) to download and install the latest version of the graphics driver.
1. At first, open the GeForce Experience app.*
2. Next, go to the “Drivers” tab.
3. After that, click on “Download” to download the latest version of the driver.
This will download the latest version of the graphics driver. Wait patiently.
4. Once it is finished downloading, tap on “Express installation“.
This will install the latest version of the graphics card on your computer. You should restart your system once the installation process is complete.
If you haven’t yet installed Geforce Experience, download and install it from here.
Fix 2 – Check the Firewall settings
Sometimes the Firewall settings may block Minecraft.
1. First, press the Windows key+R keys together.
2. Then, write “firewall.cpl” and tap on “OK” to open the Firewall settings.
3. In the next step, click on “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” on the left-hand pane.
4. On the Allowed Apps page, tap on “Change settings” to further modify the settings.
5. This will enable the following selection pane. Go through the list of apps and look for the “Minecraft Launcher” app.
6. Make sure that you have unchecked the box beside the “Minecraft Launcher” app.
7. Finally, tap on “OK” to save the changes.
After that, close the Control Panel settings. Now, check whether you can start and play Minecraft on your system or not.
Fix 3 – Close background processes
Sometimes background processes like Steam, Discord can interfere with the Minecraft app launching process.
1. Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together to open the Task Manager.
2. Once it does open up, look for any unnecessary background process that you don’t want (like Steam, Discord, etc.).
3. If you can notice such processes, right-click on such process and tap on “End task” to kill it.
4. This way, make sure that you have ended all the unwanted apps and any Minecraft processes still running in the background.
Close the Task Manager window when you are done.
After that, launch Minecraft Launcher and test whether you can play it.
Fix 4 – Disable full-screen optimizations
You can try disabling the full-screen optimizations feature for Minecraft and check if that solves the crash issues or not.
1. Right-click on the “Minecraft” app and tap on “Properties“.
2. When Minecraft Properties opens up, go to the “Compatibility” tab.
3. In the Compatibility tab, make sure that you have unchecked the “Disable fullscreen optimizations” option.
4. Next, tap on “Change high DPI settings“.
5. Further, in the High DPI scaling override pane, check the “Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:“.
6. Next, tap on “OK” to save the changes.
7. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes.
Once you are done, run Minecraft and test whether it is working properly or crashing. If the issue is still there, go to the next fix.
Fix 5 – Empty the Temp folder
Residual corrupted files can become the main reason behind this issue.
1. Press the Windows key and the R keys together to access Run.
2. Write this line in the terminal and hit Enter.
The Temp folder will open up.
3. In the Temp folder, use your mouse to select all the contents at once.
4. After that, tap on the bin icon on the menu bar to remove all the files and folders.
After deleting all files, close the File Explorer.
Launch Minecraft using the launcher, sign in and enjoy!
Fix 6 – Uninstall Minecraft and reinstall it
If nothing else works, you should uninstall the existing Minecraft. Then, you can download and install the latest version of it.
1. Press the Windows key and the I keys together.
2. At once, tap on the “Apps” on the left-hand side.
3. After that, click on “Apps & Features“.
4. Now, go down through the right-hand side, type “Minecraft” in the search box.
5. Next, tap on the three-dot menu and tap on “Uninstall“.
6. You will receive an additional warning message. Tap on “Uninstall” to uninstall it from your system.
Now, follow the on-screen steps to completely uninstall Minecraft.
7. Once it is done, you can download and install the latest version of Minecraft from here.
This way, you can solve the Minecraft startup issue and play your favorite game in no time at all.