When you are trying to upgrade your Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool (MCT) you may encounter an error message, stating “Something Happened Error code: 0xC1800103 – 0x90002” and the upgradation process will be stalled. In case if you are encountering this problem at your end, don’t worry there are simple fixes to solve this problem. But before going ahead you should try these workarounds first to test out some simpler solutions for your problem-
1. Reboot your computer and try to upgrade again.
2. Check if your computer is in the correct time zone and the correct time is shown on your computer.
If any of these workarounds didn’t help, go for these solutions-
Fix-1 Run Windows Update troubleshooter-
Windows Update Troubleshooter will detect any issues with the update process and then will try to fix the problem.
1. Click on the Search box beside the Windows icon, type “Troubleshoot settings” and click on the “Troubleshoot settings“.
2. Now, on the right side of your Settings window, scroll down to find Get up and running. Click on “Windows Update” and then click on “Run the troubleshooter“.
3. Follow the on screen instructions and let the Windows Update Troubleshooter complete the process.
4. Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, try to run Media Creation Tool again on your computer.
Fix-1 Empty Software Distribution Folder-
1. Search “cmd” in Search box beside Windows icon .
2. Then, right click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and choose “Run as administrator“.
Command Prompt with administrative rights will be opened. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted for permission by User Account Control.
3. Now, copy and paste these command one by one in Command Prompt window, and hit Enter after each of them to execute all of them.
This commands will temporarily stop some of your processes.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
Minimize the Command Prompt window.
4. Now, press Windows key+R to launch Run. Copy and paste this folder address and then hit Enter.
Download folder will be opened in File Explorer window.
5. Now, press Ctrl+A to select all the folders and press “Delete” to empty the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Close File Explorer window.
5. At the last step, you have to start the processes you have stopped in the first step.
Now, Maximize the Command Prompt window.
6.Again, copy and paste these commands one by one in Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each of them to execute all of these commands.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Close Command Prompt window. Reboot your computer. After rebooting, try updating your computer.
Fix-3 Empty Microsoft Temp directory-
Emptying Temp directory may help you.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window on your computer.
In Run window, type or copy-paste this line and then hit Enter.
NOTE– Replace “C:” with the Windows installation drive on your computer.
Once done, reboot your computer. You should be able to run Media Creation Tool without any further issue on your computer.
Your problem should be solved.
If yet the problem retains to bother you further, this tips may help you to resolve the situation-
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run. Now, type “cmd” and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to launch Command Prompt with administrative rights. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted for permission by User Account Control.
2. Now, copy-paste this command in Command Prompt window and hit Enter to start the scanning process.
Wait for this scan to be complete on your computer.
Reboot your computer to complete the process.
You should be able to update your Windows without any issues.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.