Are you facing ‘Invalid value for registry‘ error when you are trying to open an image in Windows 10? You may encounter a similar error message trying to open photos, pdf, music, or any other kind of file. If you are receiving this error when you are trying to open an image, simply resetting the Photos application will solve this issue on your computer. Follow these steps to do so-
Table of Contents
Fix 1 – Reset Photos App
1. Press Windows key+I to open the Settings window.
2. Scroll down and then click on “Apps“.
3. Then, click on “Apps & features“.
4. After that, on the right-hand side of the Settings window, click on the Search box and type “Photos“.
5. Next, simply click on the “Photos” from the search result and then again click on “Advanced options“.
6. Now, Click on Repair to repair it.
Now, try again, if it still does not work, then try to reset it.
7. Now, scroll down through the Photos settings and click on the “Reset” to reset the application to the default state.
8. Again, click on “Reset” to confirm the resetting process.
Reboot your computer.
Once Photos application is reset, try to open the image again on your computer. This time you will be able to see the image.
Fix 2 – Using registry editor
1. Press the Windows key from your keyboard.
2. Then, type “regedit” and press the ‘Enter‘ key.
3. Now, before doing anything with the registry editor, just Click on File > Export to take a backup and then proceed with the next step.
4. Go to the following path in the registry editor.
5. Now, delete every key present in the form of Microsoft.Windows.Photos …. from the expanded list.
Do not worry about the keys as they will again appear there once you close the registry editor and restart your PC. So, after that just Reboot your Computer.
Your problem should be fixed.
Fix 2 – Using SFC / SCANNOW
1. Search CMD in windows 10 search box and right-click on the “Command Prompt” and choose run as administrator.
2. Now, type “sfc/scannow” and hit Enter key.
Wait for the command to get executed fully.
Close the CMD window.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.