Some Windows 10 users are complaining about a problem they are facing with Windows Update process. According to them, when they are trying to run Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix update related issues on their computer,troubleshooter is able to solve the other issues except this ‘Windows Update Database‘ error. If you are experiencing the same issue at your end, no need to worry. Just follow the steps described in this article and the problem will be fixed very easily. But, before going ahead for bigger solutions, you should try these workarounds on your computer to test some simpler solutions for the problem.
1. Reboot your computer and after rebooting run Windows Update troubleshooter again.
2. Disable the antivirus and firewall temporarily on your computer. Further, try to update Windows. Check if the error continues to bother you.
Go for these fixes if any of these workarounds didn’t work out for you-
Fix-1 Rename SoftwareDistribution folder-
Renaming SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer will fix this issue for sure. Follow these steps minutely-
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run. Now, type “cmd” and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to launch Command Prompt with administrative rights. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted for permission by User Account Control.
2. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands sequentially and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands on your computer. These will stop some services temporarily on your computer.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
3. Now, copy-paste these two commands sequentially in Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each of them to execute both of these commands on your computer. These commands will rename both of the folders on your computer.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
4. Again in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one by one and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands on your computer. The services which were stopped before, will be started again.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Once when all the commands are executed on your computer, close Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer to save the changes on your computer. After rebooting your computer, check if you are still receiving Windows Update Database error on your computer.
Fix-2 Run SFC and DISM scan on your computer-
Running SFC scan and DISM scan on your computer can solve this problem.
1.Press Windows key+R to launch Run. Now, type “cmd” and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to launch Command Prompt with administrative rights. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted for permission by User Account Control.
2. Now, copy-paste these commands sequentially in Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each of them.
sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Wait for these scans to be complete on your computer.
Reboot your computer to complete the process.
After rebooting check if you are still facing the Update Database error or not. Your problem should be solved.
Fix-3 Clean Boot your computer-
Clean booting your computer may help you to solve this issue on your computer.
1. Press Windows Key+R to launch Run. Now, type “msconfig” and then click on “OK“. System Configuration window will be opened.
2. Now, click on “General” tab and then uncheck the box beside the “Load startup items“.
3. After that, make sure the “Load system services” is checked in the same window.
4. Now, go to the “Services” tab. Check the “Hide all Microsoft services“.
5. Click on”Disable all” on System Configuration window. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes.
4. Reboot your computer, it will be booted in clean mode.
In clean boot mode, try to check if you are still receiving Windows Update Database error on your computer or not. Your problem should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.