In case if you are facing an audio service problem stating ‘Audio Service cannot start Error 0x80070005 Access is denied‘ error message when you are trying to play some audio on your computer, there is no need to worry. Simply, follow the fixes of this article and the problem will be solved very quickly. But before going ahead for the main solutions, try these simpler workarounds-
1. If this is the first time you are facing this kind of issue with your audio devices, restarting your computer may help you to solve it.
2. At first, unplug your audio device and then plug it to your computer again. Check if you are still facing the problem.
If any of these workarounds didn’t work out for you, check out these solutions-
Fix-1 Change Log On settings-
Changing the Log On settings of the problematic service will solve this problem on your computer.
1. At first, press Windows key + R together. The Run window will open.
2. Then, you have to type “services.msc” and then hit Enter to open the Services window.
3. When the Services window has opened, scroll down and double click on “Windows Audio“.
Windows Audio Properties will be opened.
4. In the Windows Audio Properties window, go to the “Log On” tab and then click on the “Local System account” to select it.
5. Now, check the option “Allow service to interact with desktop“.
6. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Finally close the Services window on your computer.
Try to check if you can use the audio device on your computer or not.
Fix-2 Modify Permission from Registry Editor-
This problem may happen if your account doesn’t have full control over the audio service. To change the permission follow these steps-
1. Press Windows key+S and then type “regedit“.
2. Now, you have to click on the “Registry Editor” which will appear in the elevated search results.
3. Once the Registry Editor has opened, click on “File” on the menu bar and then click on “Export“.
4. In the Export Registry File window, choose a location to store the backup.
5. Then, make sure that the file is named “Original Registry“.
6. Next, set the ‘Export Range‘ to “All” and then click on “Save” to save the registry backup on your computer.
During the process, if anything goes wrong, you will be able to recover your registry.
7. In Registry Editor window, on the left pane, navigate to this location-
8. Now, right-click on the “Audiosrv” key and then click on “Permissions…“.
9. In Permissions for Audiosrv window, click on “Add…” .
10. Now, click on the “Advanced“.
11. In Select Users Or Groups window, click on “Find Now” and then select “SYSTEM” from the ‘Search Results:‘ tab.
Finally, click on “OK“.
12. Next, check if “SYSTEM” appears in the ‘Enter the object names to select (examples);‘ section. Click on “OK” to save the changes.
13. Coming back to Permissions for Audiosrv window, click on “System” in the ‘Group or user names:‘, check the box under “Allow” beside “Full Control” to allow full control of the key on your computer.
14. In Permissions for Audiosrv window, again click on “Add…” .
15. Click on the “Advanced“.
16. Now, in Select Users or Groups window, click on “Find Now” and select your username from the ‘Search results‘ box. Now, click on “OK“.
[Example– The username for this device is “Sambit“. So, we have selected it.]
17. Now, you will be able to see your selected username in the ‘Enter the object name to select‘ box. Click on “OK“.
18. In Permissions for Audiosrv window, click on the username you have just added ( For us, it will be “Sambit_Main(MYPC\Sambit)” ) in the ‘Group or user names:‘,
19. Check the box under “Allow” beside “Full Control” to allow full control of the key on your computer.
20. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Close Registry Editor window.
You may need to reboot your computer to witness the changes.
Once rebooted, audio services should be working perfectly again on your computer. Your problem should be solved.