Are you seeing error code ‘0x8024401c‘ on the Windows Update page on your computer? If you are, then don’t worry. This problem usually occurs when there is some corruption in one of the registry keys of Windows Update. To fix this error you can need to simply run this registry script on your computer and Windows Update will work fine as before in no time at all.
Fix-1 Create and run a registry script-
Create a registry script on your computer and run it to change a value on your computer. This will fix the issue-
Before going ahead to the main fix, we strongly suggest you create a backup of the registry on your computer. After opening Registry Editor, click on “File” > “Export” to create the backup.
If anything goes wrong you can retrieve your registry by simply importing the backup.
1. Right-click in the empty space of Desktop and then click on “New>” and then click on “Text document“.
2. Now, double click on ‘New Text Document‘ to open it.
The Notepad window will be opened.
3. In the Notepad window, copy-paste these lines.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
4. In the Notepad window, click on “File” in the menu-bar and then click on “Save as…“.
7. In Save As window, name the file as “Regfix.reg” and choose “All Files” from the file type.
8. Choose a particular location to store the file on your computer.
9. Finally, click on “Save” to save the file on your computer.
Close Notepad window.
10. Go to the location where you have just saved the file.
11. Now, right-click on “Regfix.reg” script and then click on “Merge” to merge it with your original registry.
12. If you receive a warning message, just click on “Yes” to run the script on your computer.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, you will not see the error message again.
If this didn’t work out go for the next fix.
Fix-2 Modify Registry manually-
If running the registry script didn’t work out for you, check if modifying the registry helps or not.
1. Click on the Search box and then type “regedit“.
2. Now, click on “Registry Editor” from the search results to open it on your computer.
3. In Registry Editor window, on the left-hand side, navigate to this location-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate
4. Now, on the right-hand side, double click on “UseWUServer” to modify it.
5. Simply, set the ‘Value Data:‘ to “0“.
6. Now, click on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
7. Close Registry Editor window.
Reboot your computer and then after rebooting your computer Windows Update will work fine again.
Fix-3 Perform a clean boot-
Clean booting a device means there will be no third-party apps loaded.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. Type “msconfig” in Run window and then hit Enter.
The System Configuration window will be opened.
3. Now, in the System Configuration window, click on the “General” tab.
4. Now, click on “Selective startup“.
5. Then, check the box beside the “Load system services.
6. Now, go to the “Services” tab. Then, check the “Hide all Microsoft services” option.
7. Next, check the “Disable all” option in the bottom left corner.
8. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
Reboot your computer, it will be booted without any third-party softwares.
Now try to update your computer.
Fix-4 Run SFC scan-
Running a simple SFC scan on your computer fixes the issue.
1. To open an elevated Command Prompt window, type “cmd” in the Search box beside the Windows icon.
2. Then right-click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and then click on “Run as administrator“.
3. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste this command and hit Enter to execute it on your computer.
Wait for a while.
Once done, close the Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer to complete the scanning process.
Your problem should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.