Are you seeing error code ‘0x8024401c‘ on the Windows Update page on your computer? If you are, then don’t worry. This problem usually occurs when there is some corruption in one of the registry keys of Windows Update. To fix this error you can need to simply run this registry script on your computer and Windows Update will work fine as before in no time at all.
Fix-1 Create and run a registry script-
Create a registry script on your computer and run it to change a value on your computer. This will fix the issue-
Open the Registry Editor window.
Once the Registry Editor opens up, simply click on “File” > “Export” to create the backup.
If anything goes wrong you can retrieve your registry by simply importing the backup.
1. Right-click on Desktop and then click on “New>” and click on “Text document“.
2. Next, double click on ‘New Text Document‘ to access it.
The Notepad window will be opened.
3. Once you access the Notepad window, copy-paste these lines.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU] "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
4. After pasting it in Notepad, click on “File” in the menu-bar and then click on “Save as…“.
5. Now, name the file “Regfix.reg” and choose “All Files” from the file type.
6. Then you need to find a location to save the file.
7. Then, click on “Save“.
Close Notepad window.
8. Once you have saved the file.
9. Right-click on the “Regfix.reg” script and then click on “Merge” to merge it with your original registry.
10. Just click on “Yes” to run the script on your computer.
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, you will not see the error message again.
If this didn’t work out go for the next fix.
Fix-2 Modify Registry manually-
If running the registry script didn’t work out for you, check if modifying the registry helps or not.
1. Click on the Search box and then type “regedit“.
2. Now, click on “Registry Editor” from the search results to open it on your computer.
3. Then go this location-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > WindowsUpdate
4. Now, on the right-hand side, double click on “UseWUServer” to modify it.
5. Simply, set the ‘Value Data:‘ to “0“.
6. Now, click on “OK” to save the changes on your computer.
7. Close Registry Editor window.
Reboot your computer and then after rebooting your computer Windows Update will work fine again.
Fix-3 Perform a clean boot-
Clean booting a device means there will be no third-party apps loaded.
1. Press Windows key+R to open Run window.
2. Type “msconfig” in Run window and then click on “OK“.
The System Configuration window will be opened.
3. At first, you have to click on the “General” tab.
4. Then, click on the radio button beside “Selective startup“.
5. After that, check the box beside the “Load system services.
6. At the next step, you have to go to the “Services” tab.
7. Then, check the “Hide all Microsoft services” option.
8. Next, check the “Disable all” option in the bottom left corner.
8. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK”. This will save the changes.
Restart your computer.
Now try to update your computer.