Are you seeing the error message “There were some problems installing updates… (0x800704c7 )“trying to update your Windows 10 computer? If that is the case then your device won’t receive further updates unless you solve this problem manually. Mainly corrupted SoftwareDistribution directory is the main reason behind this problem. Follow these easy fixes to solve the problem quickly.
1. Reboot your computer. Windows Update process takes a reboot of your computer to install the update.
2. Disable any firewall or antivirus on your computer.
If rebooting your computer haven’t fixed the issue, go for these fixes-
Fix-1 Turn Real-Time protection ‘Off’
Windows Defender can prevent the Windows Update process.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
2. Now, type “windowsdefender:” and then hit Enter.
Windows Security window will be launched.
2. In the Windows Security window, on the right-hand side, click on “Virus & threat protection“.
3. Now, on the right-hand side, scroll down and under Virus & threat protection settings window, click on “Manage settings“.
4. In Virus & Threat protection settings, in the “Real-time protection” option, toggle it to “Off“.
5. Now, press Windows key+I to open the Settings window.
6. In the Settings window, click on “Update & Security“.
7. Now, on the left pane, click on “Windows Update“.
8. On the right-hand side, click on “Check for updates“.
Windows will now download and install the update on your computer.
Real-time protection constantly shields your computer from potential threats and risks. Turning it off will make your device vulnerable to those threats. We suggest you turn the real-time protection “On” immediately after attempting the solution on your computer.
Fix-2 Download Update from Update Catalog
You can manually download and install Windows Knowledge Base (KB) updates on your computer.
1. Press Windows key+I to open the Settings window.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. Now, on the left-hand side, click on “Windows Update“.
4. On the right-hand side, scroll down and click on “OS build info“.
5. On the right-hand side, scroll down until you can see ‘Windows specifications‘.
6. Note down the Windows “Version“.
7. Now, click on the arrow sign at the top-left corner of the Settings window.
8. Now, on the right-hand side, you will see the information about the pending update.
9. Note down the KB information (The number associated with KB) and your system spec (x64 or x86).
(Example– In this case, the KB number is “KB2267602” and our system specification is “x64-bit“.)
Close Settings window.
10. Open a browser window and paste the KB number and hit Enter.
11. Now, click on “Microsoft Update Catalog” in the search result.
12. Now, in the list of updates, check which item is matching your system specification (x64 or x86) and Windows Version (1909, 1709).
13. Click on “Download” to download the exact package on your computer.
14. In a pop-up window, the Download option will prevail.
15. Now, click on the “*.msu” package to start downloading it.
16. Choose a suitable location on your drive and then click on “Save“.
Once the downloading process has finished, close the browser window.
17. Go to the download location on your computer.
18. Double click on the installer package.
19. Now, click on “Open“.
Now, Windows StandAlone Installer will install the update on your computer.
Once the update process has finished installing, reboot your computer to complete the process.
Fix-3 Update your system with MCT
An alternative approach to solving the update issue on your computer is to use Media Creation Tool. To do that, simply follow these easy steps-
1. Visit the Microsoft Software download page.
2. Now, click on the “Download tool now” to download the installation media on your computer.
3. Choose a suitable location on your drive to download the package.
4. Click on “Save” to save the package.
3. Go to the location where you have downloaded the file on your computer.
4. Double click on “MediaCreationTool2004“.
5. Now, click on “Accept” to accept the terms and conditions.
6. Now, choose “Upgrade this PC now“.
7. Then, click on “Next” to start the up-gradation process.
MCT will detect the update package for your computer. Let it download and install the package on your computer.
Reboot your computer to complete the installation process.
1. Running an SFC scan on your computer may solve the issue.
a. Open Command Prompt window with admin rights.
b.In Command Prompt window, copy-paste this command and hit Enter to execute it on your computer.
Wait for a while.
Close Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer. After restarting your computer try to update again.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.