When you try to install an update manually which you have downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog, you may face a peculiar message on your computer ‘The process is not in background processing mode‘. This error actually occurs because of the errors of the Windows Update process. Follow this particular to fix the issue very easily.
Fix Clear BITS queue and synchronize Microsoft Update
1. At first, press ‘Windows key+S‘. Then, type “cmd“.
2. After that, right-click on the “Command Prompt“. After that, click on “Run as administrator“.
3. When the Commad Prompt appears on your screen, type this code in the terminal and hit Enter to pause BITS service –
net stop bits
4. Then, to stop the Windows Update service run this command just like the previous one.
net stop wuauserv
Minimize the CMD window.
5. Open the File Explorer.
6. Then, you need to navigate to this location~
7. Look for the “qmgr0.dat” and “qmgr1.dat” files.
8. Right-click on the file and then click on “Delete“.
Once you have deleted both the files close the File Explorer.
9. Maximize the CMD window. Type these sets of command to resume BITS and Wuauserv service.
net start bits net start wuauserv
Close the CMD terminal.
Try to install the updates again. You won’t face the problem again.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.