Netflix is a popular entertainment streaming service that provides users with a variety of TV series, documentaries, and films. Recently, there has been user reports that the Netflix application is not opening properly or they are not able to play any movies or shows.
In this article, we have gathered some solutions based on other users who were facing this issue. If you are one such user struggling with this problem with the Netflix app, then this article will help you resolve the issue and allow you to continue using the application.
Fix 1 – Update Netflix App
1. Hit the Windows key and type Store in the search box.
2. Click on Microsoft Store in the search result.
3. Once the Store opens up, select the Library tab at the bottom on the left side.
4. The Updates & downloads page opens up which contains the list of applications downloaded on your PC using the Store.
5. Click on Get Updates to update all store apps
7. Once this is done, check if the problem is fixed.
Fix 2 – Reset Netflix App Settings
1. To open Run just hold the Windows and R keys together.
2. Type ms-settings:appsfeatures to open Apps & features.
3. In the search box below the App list, type Netflix to locate the application.
4. Now, click on the three vertical dots associated with the Netflix application and choose Advanced options.
5. On the Netflix Advanced options page, scroll down and locate the section Terminate.
6. Click on the Terminate button to end all the processes related to the application.
7. Scroll down to the Reset section and click on the Reset button to reset the app’s settings.
8. Click on Reset again when the confirmation window pops up.
9. Check if the issue with Netflix is cleared.
Fix 3 – Change DNS Settings
1 – Open run by hitting Windows and R key from keyboard
2 -Now, type ncpa.cpl in run and click OK.
3 -Now, right click on your network adapter and then click on properties.
4 – Now, Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4
5 – Now, choose Use the following DNS server addresses:
Input the following dns settings given below provided by Google
6 -Click OK and try again
Fix 4 – Reset TCP/IP settings
1 – Search cmd in search box.
2 -Do a right click on command prompt icon and select run as admin.
3 – Now, run the commands given below one by one in cmd window .
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
4 -Close the window after the last command gets completed and then try again.
Fix 5 – Troubleshoot Windows Store Apps
1. Press Windows + R to open Run.
2. Type ms-settings:troubleshoot to open the Troubleshoot page in Settings.
3. Here, click on Other troubleshooters.
4. Scroll down and locate Windows Store Apps in the list of troubleshooters.
5. Click on the Run button associated with Windows Store Apps.
6. The troubleshooter window opens and starts detecting if there are any problems. Also, it shows any fix that can be applied to fix the problem.
8. Once the troubleshooting process is completed, check to see if Netflix is working as expected.
Fix 6 – Clear the Temp Folder
1. Press Windows + E to open the File Explorer.
2. Type %temp% in the navigation bar and hit Enter to go to the Temp folder.
3. Press Ctrl + A to select all the files in this folder.
4. Now hold the Shift + Delete keys to remove all the temporary files and folders completely from your system.
5. In the window asking for confirmation of deletion of the items, click on Yes.
6. Once you delete all the files, check if the application is working now.
Fix 7 – Reinstall the Netflix App
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog.
2. Type ms-settings:appsfeatures to open Apps & features Settings page.
3. Scroll down and locate Netflix in the list of installed applications.
4. Click on the three vertical dots at the right end and select Uninstall.
5. When prompted for confirmation then click on Uninstall again.
6. Wait for the application to be uninstalled.
7. To open the Microsoft Store, press the Windows key and type Store in the search.
8. Click on Microsoft Store in the result.
9. In the Windows Store, type Netflix in the search box at the top.
10. Select Netflix in the search result to open its page in the Store.
11. Click on the Install button associated with the application to download and install it on your PC.
12. Launch the app and log in to check if it is working fine.
Fix 8 – Update Silverlight from Official Microsoft website
Netflix app uses Silverlight for streaming function. Although the silverlight app is set to auto update itself , but it may happen that , it may not get updated recently due to any reason. For manually updating Silverlight , Just download and install Silverlight app from official Microsoft website here.
Thanks for reading.
You must now be able to view your favorite shows and movies on the Netflix application without facing any problems. Comment and let us know the fix that helped you overcome this issue.
A software engineer turned into an educator with vast teaching experience in universities. Currently working towards my passion for writing.