The notification system in Windows 10 lets the user know of a notification that has just arrived, through notification sounds. These sounds can be useful to attract the attention of the user who might be busy doing something else on the device. This model of notification sounds is better than the earlier Windows 8 pop up toast notifications, and is pretty good as it ensures the user gets messages or notifications he or she may have previously missed.
- How to change duration of Notifications in windows 10
- How to change / Mute app Notifications sounds in windows 10
But several users complain that the sounds that chime along with the notifications, are annoying. Notification sounds are heard for connecting or disconnecting a USB, a battery warning, and other mundane notifications, so this can get irritating quickly to anybody who frequently uses his or her Windows 10 device. Users have complained of receiving ghost notifications- the system chimes to inform them they have a notification, but when they open it, there is no notification. Also, people have been receiving notifications late sometimes. In that case, being interrupted by frequent chiming of notifications that probably exist or do not exist, there has to be a way to disable the notification sounds permanently.
Apart from muting the speakers of the device (which would turn sound off for, well, every sound related action), this is how you can disable notification sounds for apps
How to Disable Notifications sounds for apps
- Open PC settings by clicking on windows key + i
- Under PC settings, choose System.
- After that click on Notifications & Actions in left sidebar.
- Toggle off the button which says Get notifications from apps and other senders.
Another method would be as follows:
- Press Windows key + r together from your keyboard to open run.
- write control mmsys.cpl sounds in it and click OK.
- Choose Sounds tab.
- Under the Sound scheme, Select None from drop-down and click on OK.
For those users who don’t want to turn all sounds off, or all notification sounds off for that matter, they can easily change the individual Sound settings as well.
Just choose settings which you want to turn off or change the sound from program events list.
Then choose sounds as desired from the list as shown. For muting notification just choose no sound from the dropdown.
Finally click on Apply.
Disabling notification sounds won’t stop the notifications themselves from coming in though, so if you want to disable notifications altogether, just toggle Show app notifications to Off under PC settings.
Disabling Individual Apps notifications from System -> Apps & Notifcations section
System settings may be accessible in a different way to other users of Windows 10. For some users, Settings will lead to a System menu, under which
- Go to Settings > System > Notification & Actions
- Scroll down and you can find list of apps. The user can choose particular apps for which the system will be allowed to show or not show notifications as well, right under “Get Notifications from these senders”.
- Toggle off the particular app to turn off the notification from that app only.