Windows has always lacked in the section of offering some crucial shortcuts to improve the quality of life of its OS. One of the most sought-after shortcuts is the mute/unmute feature in Windows. Users have waited a long time to get a universal shortcut without using the multimedia keys. But, not anymore! Now, you can easily unmute/mute your system using a particular shortcut feature without using any third-party application.
How to control system volume mute and unmute using shortcut
Just create this script once and run it. Then, you can mute/unmute the system easily.
1. At first, right-click on the Desktop and click on “⊕ New item“.
2. Then, click on the “Shortcut” to create a new shortcut.
3. Next, copy-paste this command in the “Type the location of the item:” box.
%windir%\System32\SndVol.exe -f 49825268
4. Then, tap on “Next“.
5. Now, give the shortcut any name you prefer or leave it as it is.
6. Finally, click on “Finish” to finish the process.
Now, you can set your preferred shortcut key to adjust it according to your choice.
1. Now, right-click on the shortcut file and click on “Properties“.
2. Then, go to the “Shortcut” section.
3. Now, click on the “Shortcut key:” box. Now, press the desired shortcut keys you want to set.
(Suppose you want to set ‘Ctrl+Shift+M’ keys as the shortcut keys. Just click on the “Shortcut key:” box and press the ‘Ctrl‘, ‘Shift‘, and the ‘M‘ keys together to set it.)*
4. Finally, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the modifications on your system.
That’s it! Now, you can easily mute/unmute the system with a single shortcut key.
These are the additional functions you can do with the shortcut key.
1. Play any video/music.
2. Then, press the shortcut key once ( here it is the ‘Ctrl+Shift+M‘ keys ).
3. Now, you have to press the “End” key to mute the playback.
4. Same way, you can hit the “Home” key to unmute the playback.
5. If you want to control the volume of the playback, you can just press the Up and Down arrow keys to control volume (‘Up’ arrow key to increase the volume and ‘Down’ to tone down the same).
If you want to close the volume control settings, you can just press the “Esc” key.
Do not use any preset shortcuts as the new shortcut. Like – Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V. It will not work.
Note: You can also download and use Nirsoft Mute / Unmute utility which will create shortcuts on your desktop