Bluetooth connectivity feature does come with other important features such as – file/data transfer. Usually, it is very easy to share some files/data over Bluetooth as you can just do it from the notification shade of the taskbar. But, what if the ‘Send a file‘ and/or ‘Recieve a file‘ option goes missing from your computer? There is nothing to worry about. There are several ways you can take care of this particular issue.
1. If this is the first time you are facing this issue, just restart your computer once.
2. If that doesn’t solve, check the Bluetooth connectivity is working or not (use a Bluetooth headset to connect).
Fix 1 – Modify the registry
You have to modify the registry key associated with the Bluetooth.
1. At first, press the Windows key and write “regedit“.
2. Then, tap on “Registry Editor” from the search results.
Warning – Registry Editor is a sensitive location of the system. Before you delete a key from your computer, we request to make a backup of the registry on your computer.
After opening the Registry Editor, click on “File“. Then click on “Export” to make a new backup on your computer.
3. Then, go to this key location in the registry files ~
4. On the right-hand side, you will notice the “DisableFsquirt” DWORD value.
5. Simply, right-click on the value and tap on “Delete” to remove the value from your system.
6. You will notice a confirmation request has appeared. Just click on “Yes” to remove the value.
After this close the Registry Editor.
7. Now, click once in the Windows icon and type “cmd“.
8. Further, right-click on the “Command Prompt” and click on “Run as administrator” to open the terminal as an administrator.
9. Once you are in the terminal, copy-paste this command and hit Enter.
After successfully running the command, close the terminal. Then, restart your computer to save this changes.
After you restart your computer, you will see the ‘Recieve a file‘ and/or ‘Send a file‘ options are back at their place.
Fix 2 – Use Fsquirt shortcut
There is an alternative approach to this issue.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run.
2. To access the System32 folder, copy-paste this line in the Run window and hit Enter.
3. On the top-left corner of the System32 folder, tap on the search box and write “fsquirt“.
4. You will see “fsquirt” in the search results bearing the Bluetooth icon.
5. Now, right-click on “fsquirt” and then click on copy sign to copy the application.
Close File Explorer window.
6. Then, go to your desktop and paste the application there.
7. Now, just right-click on the “fsquirt” tool and then click on the “Run as administrator“.
8. This will open up the Bluetooth File Transfer window will open up. You will find two distinct options here.
9. Now, you can easily send or receive files using the desktop “fsquirt” tool.
This is a nice alternative that you can use if you can’t retrieve the regular Bluetooth settings in the notification.
Fix 3 – Uninstall the Bluetooth device
You can uninstall the Bluetooth device from your computer.
1. Press the Windows key+R keys together.
2. Then, write”devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter.
3. When the Device Manager window appears, expand the “Bluetooth” section.
4. After that, double-click on the Bluetooth device.
5. Then, go to the “Driver” tab.
6. Further, click on “Rollback driver“.
Now, the Bluetooth device will be rollbacked to the previous state.
7. Now, if you see that the ‘Rollback driver‘ option is greyed out or not working, tap on “Uninstall device” to uninstall the Bluetooth device.
8. Now, click on “Uninstall” once more to uninstall the Bluetooth device.
After uninstalling the Bluetooth device, close the Device Manager and restart your computer.
Fix 4 – Automate and start necessary services
There are some particular services that are essential for a Bluetooth device to work smoothly.
1. At first, press the Windows key+R keys together.
2. Then, write “services.msc” and click on “OK“.
This will open up the Services.
3. In the Services screen, find out the “Bluetooth Support Service“.
4. Then, double-click on the service to modify it.
5. Next, click on “Automate” from the drop-down.
6. Then, tap on “Start” to start the service.
7. Next, click on “Apply” and “OK” to save the changes.
Close the Services window.
Restart the computer after this and check if you can find the missing options in the Bluetooth settings.
Fix 5 – Troubleshoot the Bluetooth
1. At first, press the Windows key+I keys together.
2. Then, on the left-hand pane, click on the “System“.
3. Now, on the right-hand side, scroll down and click on the “Troubleshoot“.
4. This will open up the Troubleshooter settings window.
5. On the same window, tap on the “Other troubleshooters“.
5. In the list of troubleshooters, scroll down and tap on the “Bluetooth” troubleshooter.
6. Next, tap on “Run” to run the printer troubleshooter on your system.
Now, let Windows run some checks on the Bluetooth device and solve the issue on its own.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.