How to limit bandwidth to certain applications in Windows 10: – Bandwidth is the maximum rate at which a network can transfer data. Our internet connections are of low bandwidth. So, insufficient bandwidth is a major trouble we face every day. In our Windows system, we have plenty of applications for our various requirements.Most of these applications eat up our available bandwidth either running in foreground or background. Thus by using this limited bandwidth, these applications create a bandwidth bottleneck in our systems. Even though Windows support a wide range of features, there is no such feature which controls the bandwidth utilisation of an application. We can restrict applications from using the Windows firewall, but it is not practical since we might want those applications to connect to the internet. In such a situation we can make use of a third party software called Net Balancer. This software gives us full network control over our computer. Read on, to learn how to use this software effectively.
- Go to the official website of NetBalancer and click on Download NetBalancer button.
- Double click on the downloaded file to install it like any other software. After installation restart your system.
- After restarting your system, launch NetBalancer either using Desktop shortcut or from the start menu. The app may ask you to set some predefined network priorities. Just press No for now. You can always set them later.
- In the top-right corner of the main window click on Show online processes only icon to filter the processes that are connected to the internet.
- Click on the Download Rate section to sort the processes according to the bandwidth they are using.
- Right-click on the process you want to limit the bandwidth. You can select either low, normal or high to limit the bandwidth it uses.
- If you want to set a precise value as a limit select the Limit option from the expanded menu.
- It will open the Edit Priority window. From here you can limit the rate and press OK button. Here I have limited Chrome process to use only 150 KB/s of the available bandwidth.
- You can also set the upload limit by changing Upload Priority into Limited.
- The process cannot exceed the limit unless you change the limit. If you want to remove the limit, change the priority status from Limited to Normal in the Edit Priority window.
- Sometimes the application may not be able to detect your network card. In that case, click on the Edit option in the navigation bar and select Network Adapters.
- In the Network Adapters window, select the network adapter to be monitored and press OK . Here I have three network adapters on my laptop. I have selected to monitor all the three adapters.
Now you have learnt a simple trick to limit specific apps in Windows from eating up all the available bandwidth.
A technology enthusiast.