There is a system print dialog prompt that used to appear in the Edge browser. This system prints a dialog box consisting of many printer-related settings that you can toggle without opening any separate printer settings page. The current version of Edge has omitted this feature from its build. But, there is a way that you enable this System Print Dialog box on the browser page.
How to enable or disable the System Print Dialog page in Microsoft Edge
You can enable the System Print Dialog option using the Registry Editor.
1. Press the Win key and write “registry” in the search box.
2. Then, tap the “Registry Editor” to open the Registry Editor on your system.
3. You are adding a new value to a particular registry address. Usually, it doesn’t affect your system at all. But, it is recommended that you take a system backup.
a. After opening the Registry Editor, tap on “File” and click on the “Export” option to back up the registry.
b. You can easily save the backup in a location of your choice.
3. After taking the backup, go this way –
4. On the right-hand side, right-click on the “Microsoft” key and tap “New>” and choose the first option “Key” to create a new key.
5. Name this key as “Edge“.
6. Then, make sure this new key is selected. Now, right-click on the right-hand side and tap “New>” and “DWORD (32-bit) Value“.
7. Name the new key as “UseSystemPrintDialog“.
8. Now, just double-tap it to modify it.
9. Set the new value to “1” and click “OK“.
Now, just close every window and restart your PC/Laptop once. Once the device restarts, open the Edge and print any webpage. The old system print dialog box will appear again.
How to remove the System Print Dialog box in Microsoft Edge
If you want the current print dialog box, you can just do it following these easy steps.
1. Open the Registry Editor.
2. Once you have opened it, go this way –
3. Then, right-click on the “UseSystemPrintDialog” value on the right-hand pane and tap “Delete” to remove it.
4. You will see a warning message. Tap “Yes” to confirm the removal.
After this, just restart your machine. You’ll have the current print preview page in Edge.
Download the registry files
If you don’t want to get into the hassle of editing registry files, we have created these registry scripts for you. Just download the one you need (enabler script and disabler script) and run it on your system.
1. Download the particular script to run on your system.
2. Once you have downloaded the script, you have to extract the zip file on your local drive.
3. After extracting the zip file, you will find a registry script.
4. Just, right-tap the “Enabler_script” and click “Show more options” from the right-click context menu.
5. Now, tap “Merge“.
You will receive a warning prompt on your system about the risk of merging the script.
5. Just tap “Yes“.
Now, just close everything and restart your system. The System Print Dialog message will appear on the Edge browser when you try to print something.
If you want to disable the system print dialog message, you have to merge the “Disabler script” on your system.
Fix 2 – Edit the Group Policy
If you are on Windows 11 Pro, there is a certain group policy that you can put in place to enable the System Print Dialog box.
1. You have to press the Win key+R keys together.
2. Just write down this and hit Enter.
3. Once you have opened the utility page, go this way –
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Classic Administrative Templates (ADM) > Microsoft Edge > Printing
4. Now, on the right-hand pane, you wil find the “Print using system print dialog” policy.
5. So, double-tap the policy to access it.
6. Now, set the policy settings to the “Enabled” state.
7. After that, tap “Apply” and “OK” to apply and save the changes.
Close the Local Group Policy Editor. After that, reboot the machine. Now, launch the Edge browser and test if this works.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.