Windows installer allows the installation of one application at one time. If any other application is withholding the Windows Installer service, you will see this error message – ‘Gathering required information’ on your computer. Don’t worry. Just follow these easy fixes to solve the problem on your computer.
1. Check if there are any Windows Updates pending on your system. Press Windows key + I together and open settings and go to update and security. Make sure that your computer is updated to the latest version.
2. Check if you are using the latest installer. Try to install the same package on other systems, if possible.
Fix 1 – Restart the Windows Installer services
Restarting the Window Installer services should do the job.
1. You have to access the Run terminal. You have to press the ‘Windows key+R‘ keys.
2. What you need to do next is to type this command. Afterward, click on “OK“.
3. After that, scroll down to find out the “Windows Installer” service.
4. Then, right-click on it and then click on “Start” to start the service on your computer.
In case the service has already started, you may restart it.
4. Then, right-click on the “Windows Installer” service, again.
5. This time, click on “Restart” to restart it.
This should restart the service on your machine. Close the Services window and try to install the application again.
Fix 2 – Re-register Windows Installer
Re-register the Windows Installer from the Command Prompt.
1. Press the Windows key and start to type “cmd“.
2. Now, right-click on the “Command Prompt” and click on “Run as administrator”.
3. Copy and paste these 4 commands one-by-one and then hit Enter.
This will unregister and re-register the Windows Installer service.
%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister %windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver
Close the Command Prompt. Restart your computer once. Then try to install the application again.
Fix 3 – Check which program is using the VSS service
Windows System Restore utilizes the Volume Shadow Copy service.
1. Write “cmd” in the search box.
2. Then, right-click on the “Command Prompt” and click on “Run as administrator”.
3. After that, execute this command in the terminal.
vssadmin list writers
Check if any ‘Last error’ for any application. If you see that for any application, uninstall it from your system.
Then try to install the application again. This should solve the problem you are facing.
Fix 4 – Use SafeMSI in Safe Mode
You can use the SafeMSI to enable the windows installer. But to do that you have to that in Safe mode.
STEP 1 – Download SafeMSI
At first, you have to download the SafeMSI on your computer.
1. Go to this SafeMSI Download center.
2. Click on “DOWNLOAD NOW” to download the tool.
Once you have downloaded it, close the browser.
3. Extract the “SafeMSI” zip file to a location of your choice.
Proceed to the next step after extracting the file.
STEP 2 – Boot into safe mode
1. Open the Settings window by pressing the Windows key+I keys together.
2. Then, you need to click on “Update and Security“.
3. After that, click on the “Recovery“.
4. Next, under the “Advanced Startup” section, click on “Restart Now“.
5. After your computer boots up, just click on “Troubleshoot“.
6. Next, choose the “Advanced options” menu.
7. To check the startup settings, just click on the “Startup Settings“.
8. Finally to restart your device in the correct manner, click on “Restart“.
9. Here you will notice various kinds of startup options available.
10. Now, just press F4 from your keyboard to select the option that says “Enable Safe Mode“.
Soon, your computer will boot into safe mode.
STEP -3 Run SAFEMSI
1. Go to the location where you have extracted the SafeMSI.
2. Then, double click on the “SafeMSI” application.
3. You will notice the “Windows Installer service has been enabled” message has appeared on your screen.
4. After that, click on “OK“.
Now, try to install the package once more. This should solve your problem for sure.
Fix 5 – Use Repair MSI
Repair MSI is an open-source tool that can fix few Repair MSI issues.
1. Download Repair MSI on your computer.
The portable Repair MSI tool will be downloaded on your computer.
2. Double click on the “Tweaking.com-RepairMSIWindowsInstaller” to run it.
3. Once the tool opens up, click on “Start” to run the repair tool on your computer.
After the repair process has finished analyzing and fixing the issue on your computer, close it.
Give the installation process another try.
Your problem should be solved.