A lot of users in windows 11 and windows 10 are facing problems with mobile hotspot not connecting to their devices, here are some suggestions to fix this problem. If your mobile hotspot is not working , here is the fix.
Prior to that we need to make sure if device is well connected to the internet.
Note: – If you are on Ethernet , try switching to WiFi to share wifi over mobile Hotspot.
Table of Contents
Fix 1 – Disable sharing of Internet
1. Press Windows key + R together to Open run command box.
2. Write ncpa.cpl in it and click OK.
3. Right click on your Hotspot Network adaptor (Usually it will be named something like virtual adapter).
Now, choose properties.
4. Click on sharing Tab.
5. Make sure that Allow other network users top connect through … option is unchecked.
Fix 2 – Using Registry editor
First of all before using this method take a backup of Registry editor by going to File > Export in the registry editor. Now, follow the steps given below.
1. Press Windows key + r together to open run
2. Write regedit and click OK.
3. In the Registry editor , browse to the following location given below.
4. Now, delete HostedNetworkSettings key in the right side.
Now, try to use Mobile Hotspot again.
Fix 3 – By resetting Windows firewall.
1. Search for “Windows security‘ in windows search bar and click the windows security icon from search result.
2. Next we need to click on the ‘Firewall & Network protection’ icon from the vertical bar in the left pane.
In the screen that appears we need to go to the bottom part and click on the “Restore firewalls to default‘.
3. in the next page, we need to confirm the resetting of firewall by clicking on the Restore defaults icon.
We need to reboot the system once to check if mobile hotspot problem is solved.
Fix 4 – By running Windows Network Troubleshooter
Troubleshooting is a option we can opt for finding and fixing issues in system.We need to follow these steps for the fix.
1. Search for “Troubleshoot settings’ in windows search bar and click on the Troubleshoot settings icon.
2. By going down the screen click on “Network Adapter” to expand it and click on “Run the troubleshooter“.
Windows will automatically try to detect any faults in the setting and driver of the system’s adapter.
Fix 3 – By resetting system’s Wireless Adapter
After trying out fix 1 and 2 we can try resetting system’s wireless adapter, Follow these steps.
1. Search for “Device Manager” in windows search bar and click on the device manager icon. Device manager window opens.
2. Scroll down to the “Network Adapter” and double click to expand it. Select from the list “Wireless Network Adapter” , right click on it and select the “Disable device” option.
3. Make WiFi adapter is disabled by right clicking on the “Wireless Network Adapter” in use by the system.
4. We need to enable the Network adapter back by right clicking on the Wireless Network Adapter.
Fix 4 – Turning off Windows firewall and Antivirus
Firewall and antivirus may at times prevent us from connecting to mobile hotspot.
Try turning off Antivirus program by following these steps –
1. In the windows screen, right click on the antivirus program and select the disable option.
2. Check to see if problem is solved.
If turning off Antivirus wont work, try turning off windows defender firewall.
Steps to turn off windows firewall –
1. Search for Control Panel in the windows search bar. A new screen opens.
2. Click on “System and Security” to go to the firewall settings.
3. Then click on “Windows Defender Firewall”.
4. Click on “Windows Defender Firewall” on the left pane of the screen for turning off the Firewall.
5. Click on the option “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off” located on the left pane of the screen.
Check to see if the problem is solved with network adapters.
Saurav is associated with IT industry and computers for more than a decade and is writing on The Geek Page on topics revolving on windows 10 and softwares.