If the DNS server doesn’t function properly on a computer the user may see this error message “Failed to open the Group Policy object on this computer” when they try to use Local Group Policy Editor. The main purpose of the DNS server is to log system error in the DNS event log. To solve the issue follow this easy fix on your computer.
Fix- Rename Machine in GroupPolicy folder-
Renaming the Machine folder in Group Policy folder will solve the issue.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window.
2. In the Run window, type “system32“‘ and hit Enter.
The System32 folder is opened.
3. In the System32 folder, click on “View” on the menu-bar.
4. Now, click on “Options“.
5. In the Folder Options window, go to the “View” tab.
6. Now, scroll down and check the option “Show hidden files, folders and drives“.
7. Now, click on “Apply” and then click on “OK“.
8. Scroll down and double click on the “Group Policy“.
9. In the Group Policy folder, right-click on the “Machine” folder and click on “Rename” to rename the folder.
10. Set the name of the folder as “Machine.old“.
Close File Explorer window.
Restart your computer. After restarting your computer, try to modify any policy from the Local Group Policy Editor. The error message won’t pop up on your computer.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.