Windows 10 had HDR settings, but it had limited capabilities. But, with the introduction of Auto HDR on Windows 11, users can extract the full potential of their displays. Tuning Auto HDR mode on/off is very simple. In this article, we have discussed how to enable/disable the Auto HDR settings on your computer.
What is Auto HDR
HDR or High Dynamic Range is an imaging process that enhances the picture based on three distinct images of a single frame. The Auto HDR feature lets Windows decide whether or when to use this feature considering different parameters.
Setting your device to Auto HDR mode ensures that you don’t have to enable/disable the HDR settings every time you try to play a game or stream a movie.
How to enable the Auto HDR settings on Windows 11
Just follow these easy steps to enable the Auto HDR feature.
1. At first, click on the Start icon on the taskbar.
2. Then, tap on the “Settings” icon in the Start menu.
3. When the Settings window appears, tap on the “System” on the left-hand side.
4. Then, click on the “Display” setting on the right side of the same screen.
5. After that, click on the “HDR” on the right-hand side to modify it.
6. Then, on the right-hand side, expand the “Display capabilities“.
7. After that, toggle the “Play streaming HDR video” and the “Use HDR” settings to “On“.
8. Finally, scroll down to the bottom and set the “Auto HDR” settings to “On“.
After this, just close the Settings window.
This will enable the Auto HDR mode on your machine. You don’t need to disable/enable the HDR mode as Windows will automatically take care of it.
How to disable the Auto HDR mode
If you don’t like the Auto HDR mode turned on, you can disable it any time you want.
1. Press the Windows key + I keys together.
2. When the Settings window appears, click on the “System” on the left-hand tab
4. Then, click on the “Display” setting on the right-hand pane.
5. After that, click on the “HDR” on the same side to modify it.
6. Just, toggle the “Auto HDR” settings to “Off“.
Do not turn off the ‘Use HDR’ settings as it will disable the HDR settings on your system.
This will prevent Windows from activating the HDR mode automatically. You can activate or deactivate the HDR mode manually as you used to do on Windows 10.