While gaming on your new Windows device you may see this error message stating “DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with error” on the screen. This crash will exit the game and it can happen anytime. This is a DirectX function fault that can stop the game anytime. But don’t worry even a bit. You can quickly fix the issue with these quick solutions.
1. Try starting the game as a system administrator. If this is a one-time occurrence, running the game as a system admin should fix it.
2. Restart your computer once. This restarts all the components along with the display driver. So, next time when you play the game, the error won’t appear.
Fix 1 – Edit the Registry
Try this registry hack by tweaking the Tdr level on your system.
1. At first, using the search box write down “regedit“.
2. Then, click “Registry Editor” to open it on your computer.
3. Now, before you proceed, you have to take a mandatory registry backup. This way, you can revert this change if anything goes wrong. It’s an easy, two-step process.
a. After opening the Registry Editor, click “File“, and tap “Export“.
b. Then, just name the backup anything you prefer and save it somewhere accessible.
4. After creating this backup, go ahead and head on to this point in the Registry Editor page –
5. Here, on the right-hand pane, you have to create a key. So, right-click there and tap “New>” and tap “DWORD (32-bit) Value” to create a new one.
6. Then, name this new value “TdrLevel“.
7. After this, double-tap it to edit it.
8. Then, set this new value to “0“.
9. After this, click “OK” to save it.
Exit from the Registry Editor window. After that, restart your computer.
After the system restarts, try to play the game.
Fix 2 – Update the driver
Update the display driver of your system. Many devices have dual graphics drivers. In that case, update the dedicated graphics card.
1. You have to open a Run box. You can do this using Win+R keys.
2. Then, type this and hit Enter.
3. Once on the Device Manager page, look for the “Display adapters” area. Here, you can find the display adapter.
4. After that, right-click the display adapter and tap “Update driver“.
5. Now, click “Search automatically for the best driver“.
Wait for Windows to install the latest driver package.
If it says this –
The best driver for the device is already installed.
Then, you have to manually update the driver from the OEM website.
1. Go to the graphics card manufacturer’s website.
2. Then, search for the latest driver for the graphics card on your system. Just input the model number along with your OS details.
3. Next it will show the latest version of the graphics card.
4. Download it on your system.
5. Then, just run the downloaded installer file to update the graphics card.
NOTE – Sometimes Windows enlists crucial graphics card drivers in the Optional Updates section. Follow these steps –
1. Open Settings and go to “Windows Update“.
2. Then, click on “Advanced options” to open that setting.
3. After this, click “Optional updates” to view all the optional updates.
4. There, you will find several updates there. Look for the display driver update.
5. Check it and tap “Download & Install” to download and install the update.
You should be able to play the game now.
Fix 3- Run the DirectX diagnostics
There is a dedicated DirectX diagnostics that can help you resolve the DirectX issues.
1. At first, press the Win key and R key.
2. Then, type this there and hit Enter.
This will load up the DirectX Diagnostics.
3. DirectX Diagnostics will now scan your whole system and detect the problem and fix it.
NOTE – All most all the games require the latest version of DirectX. Windows sends these crucial updates through the Windows Update channel. You can’t install/update DirectX separately. So, we recommend you install all the updates that are available for your system.
Fix 4- Modify the GstRender settings
DirectX 12-based graphics rendering can be tweaked in the game settings.
1. To do this, you have to open File Explorer.
2. Then, head on to the “Documents“.
3. There, locate the game folder (every game creates a new folder under its respective publisher folder). Open that folder.
4. Inside here, you can find several settings. Look for the settings folder and open that.
5. Now, here you can find a file named “PROFSAVE” or “PROFSAVE_profile“. Just, double-tap it.
6. Next, choose “Notepad” from the list and click “Just once” to open it in Notepad.
7. When the configuration file loads up in Notepad, you may notice some jibberish in there. It is completely normal.
8. Next, just look for the ” GstRender.Dx12Enabled“. Set it to “1“.
After this, press the Windows key+S keys together to save the change.
Now, relaunch the game and test.
Fix 5 – Disable the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and hardware GPU
Variable Refresh Rate is quite new and except for the new titles, it isn’t supported. So, fix the refresh rate to a stable one and solve the problem.
1. At first, press the Windows key + I keys together.
2. Then, click on the “”System” settings.
3. Next, click on the “Display” settings on the right-hand side.
4. Now, on the right-hand pane, you can find the “Advanced display“.
5. Here, if you go down you can find the ‘Choose refresh rate’.
6. Just, click on the drop-down and choose “60 Hz” or anything your monitor supports.
After this, start the game and check.
Fix 6 – Run in the Clean Boot mode
Run the game in clean boot mode and test whether the error re-appears.
1. Open a Run box.
2. Then, type this UTR command in the terminal, and press the Enter key once.
3. Go to the first tab which is “General“.
4. Here, tap the “Selective startup” option to check it.
5. After that, check the option “Load system services“.
6. After this, straight head to the “Services” section.
7. As the second step involves, you have to tick the “Hide all Microsoft services“.
8. This way, only third-party services will be selected. Finally, click on “Disable all” to disable all those services.
9. Finally, click on “Apply” and then on “OK“.
10. A confirmation prompt appears on your screen, tap “Restart” to restart your computer to apply the changes.
When the computer restarts, launch the game and test it again.
Additional Troubleshooting Points –
1. If you are using a laptop device, you may have to tweak the Power Mode settings. You can do it from Settings.
a. Open Settings and go to “System“.
b. Then, go to the “Power & battery” settings.
c. Inside these settings, you can find the “Power mode” settings.
Now, tweak this setting to “Best performance“. This way, Windows will have complete authority over the power irrespective of the device status.
2. If it’s possible, uninstall the game and reinstall it. Corruption in the game files can cause is problem.