Some Windows 10 users are complaining about an issue they are facing trying to update their Windows 10 computer. According to these users, they are seeing an error message stating “Windows 10 Update Error 0xc1900104” in the Windows Update page. To solve the issue follow these easy fixes on your computer.
Fix-1 Rename SoftwareDistribution folder-
Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder on your computer will fix this issue for sure. Follow these steps minutely-
1. Click on the search box beside the Windows icon and then type “cmd“.
2. Then, right-click on “Command Prompt” in the elevated search result and choose “Run as administrator“.
Command Prompt with administrative rights will be opened.
3. In Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands sequentially and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands sequentially on your computer.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. Now, again copy-paste these two commands sequentially in Command Prompt window and hit Enter.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
5. Again in Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands one by one and hit Enter after each of them to execute these commands on your computer.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Some services which were stopped before will be started again.
Once when all the commands are executed on your computer, close the Command Prompt window.
Reboot your computer and after rebooting your computer check for updates once again.
Fix-2 Try Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Windows Update Troubleshooter is an in-built tool to analyze various issues with Windows Update and solve them.
1. Click on the Windows icon and then click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
4. Now, on the right-hand side, click on “Additional troubleshooters“.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
8. Again, click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Try to update your device again. Check if this works.
Fix-3 Update your system with MCT-
You can create a Windows Media Creation Tool (MCT) to update your Windows 10. To do that, simply follow these easy steps.
1. Visit the Microsoft Software download page.
2. Scroll down and click on the “Download tool now” to download the installation media on your computer.
3. Choose a suitable location to download the package.
4. Click on “Save” to save the package.
3. Go to the location where you have downloaded the file on your computer.
4. Double click on “MediaCreationTool2004“.
5. Now, click on “Accept” to accept the terms and conditions.
6. Now, choose “Upgrade this PC now“.
7. Then, click on “Next” to start the up-gradation process.
MCT will detect the update package for your computer. Let it download and install the package on your computer.
Reboot your computer to complete the installation process.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.