Many of the Windows services (like Windows Update, svchost.exe ) generally runs in the background and do consume a very low amount of your device resources. But sometime you may witness these services are consuming a huge amount of your processor power, slowing your device. Wuauserv is a Windows service, which runs in the background when Windows Update service runs on your computer. You can not stop the service directly from Task Manager window as this service is a Windows service. Don’t worry, there are fixes available to solve your problem. Just attempt these solutions on your device and you will out of the ordeal just in time.
If you are facing this issue for the first time on your computer, restart your computer and further check if you are still facing the same problem or not.
Fix-1 Wait for Windows Update process to complete-
This problem you are facing may be because some important update is pending on your computer. In order to check for Windows Updates, follow these next steps-
1. Press Windows key+I to open Settings on your computer. Click on “Update & Security” settings.
2. On, the right pane, click on “Check for Updates“.
3. Windows will check for updates, and then it will download the update and let you choose a time to restart your computer to complete the update procedure.
Wait till the whole update process is complete. Then after rebooting your computer check if Wuauserv is still consuming huge CPU power or not. If Wuauserv is still consuming huge amount of resources, go for the next fix.
Fix-2 Disable Windows Update Service
Your Windows Update service can also cause this problem, you can try disabling it.Follow these steps to disable Windows Update on your device-
1. Press Windows Key+R, to launch Run. Type, “services.msc“and click on “OK” to open Services utility.
2. In the list of services find out “Windows Update” service and double click on it to open its Properties.
3. In the Properties window, click on “Startup type:” and select “Disabled” from the drop down. Next, click on “Apply” and “OK“. Close the Services window.
Reboot your computer and check if the error is still there or not. Go to the next fix if the error is still there.
Fix-3 Uninstall Windows Updates-
If your computer has received an recent Windows Update then it is possible that the update is causing the “Wuauserv having a high CPU usage” issue on your device. Follow these easy steps to uninstall recent Windows updates from your device.
1. Press Windows Key+R to launch Run, and type “appwiz.cpl” and hit Enter.
2. Now, on the left pane of Programs and Features window, click on “View Installed Updates“.
3. Now, in Installed Updates window, under “Microsoft Updates” section, notice the recent updates (look for the column “Installed On” ) double click on the most recent update.
4. Click on “Yes” to uninstall the update.
Windows will uninstall the update. Your computer will be restarted after uninstalling the update.
After rebooting your computer check if you are still facing the issue or not. Go for the next fix if your issue still remains unsolved.
Fix-4 Delete the Software Distribution folder-
You can delete the “Software Distribution” folder in your device, which has solved the “Wuauserv having a high CPU usage” issue for many users. Follow to temporarily stop BITS and wuauserv and then delete the “Software Distribution” folder and again resume BITS and wuauserv service on your computer.
1. Press Windows key +R to launch Run, and type “cmd” and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted by User Account Control.
2. Now, type this command on your command prompt window, and press Enter.
net stop wuauserv
3. Now, type this command on your command prompt window, and press Enter.
net stop bits
Minimize the Command Prompt window.
4. Press Windows Key+E to File Explorer window. Go to this location-
This PC>Local Disk(C:)>Windows
In the list of folders , select “SoftwareDistribution” and press Shift+Delete to delete it.
5.Now, you have to start the Windows Update services again. In order to do so, maximize the Command Prompt window. Copy and paste these following commands and hit Enter after each command-
net start wuauserv net start bits
Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer check if you are still facing the issue or not. Your problem regarding “Wuauserv is using high CPU usage” should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.