Windows is known for the legacy of unrestricted control over the apps. But day-by-day Microsoft is pushing users to use nothing except their own Microsoft Store. In this process, while some users are trying to install a third-party application on their computers are seeing this ‘It’s time to update your device’ error message on their screen. If you are facing a similar kind of dilemma, don’t worry. There is are few quick resolutions to fix this issue.
Table of Contents
Fix 1 – Allow app install from anywhere
If you restrict the app installation from MS Store only, you will see this error message.
1. At first, press the Windows key+I keys together.
2. Then, tap on the “Apps” on the left-hand side.
3. Next, click on the “Apps & features“.
3. On the right-hand side, you will see the ‘Choose where to get apps‘.
4. Now, tap on the drop-down icon and select “Anywhere” from the list of available options.
Now, close the Settings window and restart your computer. After restarting the system, try to install the app you were trying to install in the first place. Check the status of the issue.
Fix 2 – Upgrade to the latest version of Windows
If you haven’t installed the latest version of Windows, install it and check the status of the issue.
1. At first, open the Settings.
2. Then, tap on the “Windows Update” at the end of the left-hand side.
3. Then, on the right-hand side, tap on the “Download Now” button to start downloading the latest version of Windows Update on your computer.
Now, let Windows download the update on your computer. It will be installed on your computer. Restart the system after downloading the update.
Fix 3 – Use the MSIEXEC
You can use the MSIEXEC tool to install the msi installer on your computer.
1. At first, press the Windows key and type “powershell“.
2. Then, right-click on the “Windows PowerShell” and then click on “Run as administrator“.
3. When the PowerShell opens up, type this command, modify it according to your need, and hit Enter.
msiexec /i the_application_name.msi
NOTE– Replace the “the_application_name” in the code with the name of the application you are trying to install.
Example – The application we were trying to install ‘webexapp.msi’.
The command will be ~
msiexec /i webexapp.msi
After executing the command, the installer window will open up. Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
Fix 4 – Terminate the SmartScreen process
The SmartScreen process runs in the background and checks for any malware on the system. It may restrict the installation of the app.
1. At first, press the Windows key+X keys together.
2. Then, tap on the “Task Manager” to open up the Task Manager.
Now, start the application installation process on your computer. Wait until you see the error message on your system.
3. Go to the Task Manager once again.
4. When the Task Manager opens up, go to the “Details” tab.
5. Locate the “smartsceeen.exe” process in there. Then, right-click on the process and tap on “End task“.
Once you have ended it, you can install the application without further more issues.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.