While installing a feature update from a stand-alone installer or re-installation of Windows 10, you may see this error message “Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware“. This message usually pops up after the installation stage ends. So, if you are facing this issue on your computer, there is no need to worry. Follow these easy fixes to solve the problem very easily.
Fix-1 Run msoobe.exe manually-
Microsoft Out of Box Experience (Msoobe.exe) is the application that ensures the activation of Windows.
1. Press Shift+F10 to open the Command Prompt window, while you are in the error screen.
2. In the Command Prompt window, copy-paste these commands sequentially and hit Enter at the end.
cd\ cd x.\windows\system32\oobe
In case, if you see “The system cannot find the path specified.” error message, follow this step-
a. Copy these commands one at a time and paste them in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter.
cd windows cd system32 cd oobe
3. Now, you have to execute msoobe.exe on your computer.
To do it, copy-paste this command and then hit Enter.
Now, wait a while. Windows will complete the installation process normally.
Fix-2 Change SATA settings-
Modify SATA settings on your computer to IDE, RAID, ATA or AHCI.
1. Shut down your computer.
2. Start the computer.
3. When the computer is booting up, press “F12“* key to open boot settings on your computer.
* NOTE– The actual key to open the boot settings on your computer can differ manufacturer to manufacturer. Please check it for your system.
4. When the BIOS setting opens on your computer, go to “Advanced“.
5. Now, press down arrow keys to highlight the “SATA Operation” setting, and hit Enter.
6. Now, change the settings to “IDE” or “RAID” and then hit Enter.
7. Now, press ‘Esc‘ key from your keyboard.
8. Finally, when the ‘Save configuration and reset‘ message pops up, select “Yes” and hit Enter.
Now, save and exit the BIOS settings on your computer.
Fix-3 Manually install the problematic driver-
Sometimes problematic drivers on your computer may cause this type of issue. Manually installing the latest driver may fix the issue on your computer.
NOTE– For this fix, you will need a separate laptop/ PC to download the latest driver for the problematic driver.
For most of the cases, the hard disk driver has been found to be the actual culprit.
Steps to do on the other computer–
1. Download the latest hard disk driver from the manufacturer’s website.
2. Store the driver package on a USB flash drive or an external drive.
Steps to do on your computer-
1. Plugin the USB device on your computer.
2. Initialize the system installation.
3. Now, you will notice the “Load driver” option. Click on the “Load driver“.
5. Now, choose the latest harddisk driver from the external drive. Wait for the installation to complete.
6. Now, advance with the installation of Windows.
This should solve your problem.
If you are facing the problem while installing a Windows Feature Update, try these fixes-
Fix-1 Run Windows Update Troubleshooter-
Windows Update Troubleshooter can determine the problem you are facing and solve the issue easily.
1. Click on the Windows icon and then click on the gear-shaped icon to open Settings.
2. Now, click on “Update & Security“.
3. On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
4. Now, on the right-hand side, click on “Additional troubleshooters“.
5. Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
6. Now, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process.
7. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
This process will take some time as Windows will detect any problem with Windows Update.
8. Again, click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the troubleshooter window.
Now try to install the update on your computer again.
Fix-2 Download the Feature Update with MCT-
1. Visit the Microsoft Software download page.
2. Now, click on the “Download tool now” to download the installation media on your computer.
3. Choose a suitable location on your drive to download the package.
4. Click on “Save” to save the package.
Close the browser window.
3. Go to the hard drive location where you have downloaded the installer.
4. Now, Double click on “MediaCreationTool2004“.
5. Now, click on “Accept” to accept the terms and conditions.
6. Now, choose the “Upgrade this PC now” option.
7. Then, click on “Next” to start the up-gradation process.
MCT will identify the exact update package for your computer.
Then, it downloads and installs the update package on your system.
Reboot your computer.
If you are trying to overclock the CPU on your system, that may cause this problem.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.