Some Windows 10 users are facing an error during the up-gradation of Windows 10 on their device. The installation process is getting stalled on the affected user’s device with an Error Code-x80240439. Now, if you are facing the same issue on your computer, don’t worry. Just follow these easy fixes and you will be able to update your Windows 10 without this error. But, before going ahead, try these initial workarounds to solve your problem with minimal efforts.
1. Restart your device. Sometimes a restart is needed for the installation process to be completed.
2. Disable the antivirus and the firewall temporarily on your device, and then try updating your device.
If any of this fix didn’t work out for you, go for these fixes-
Table of Contents
Fix-1 Empty Software Distribution Folder-
1. At first, click on the Search box and start to type “cmd“.
2. Then, right-click on the “Command Prompt” and then click on “Run as administrator“.
3. Now, copy and paste these commands one by one in Command Prompt window, and hit Enter each time to execute each of them.
These commands will temporarily stop some of your processes.
Minimize the Command Prompt window.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver
4. Now, press Windows key+R to launch Run. Copy and paste this line and hit Enter.
5. Empty the folder.
6. Now, maximize the Command Prompt again and copy and paste these commands one by one and hit Enter after each of them.
net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Close Command Prompt window. Reboot your computer. After rebooting, try updating your computer. You should be able to update your computer without any further error.
If you are still facing the same problem, then go for the next fix.
Fix-2 Use Windows Update Troubleshooter from Control Panel-
You can download Windows Update Troubleshooter from the official Microsoft forum and run it on your computer. Follow these easy steps-
1. Download Windows Update Troubleshooter.
2. Now, double click on “wu10” to open it.
2. Now, click on “Next” in the troubleshooter window.
3. Now, this process will take some time as Windows will detect any kind of problem with your pending Update.
4. Now, click on “Next” to apply the fix.
Restart this system.
As you reboot your computer, Windows Update Troubleshooter will fix the issue.
Your problem should be solved.
Fix-3 Troubleshoot Windows Update from Windows Settings-
1. Press Windows key+S and start to type “Troubleshoot settings“.
2. When you see that the term ‘Troubleshoot settings‘ has appeared in the search box, click on the “Troubleshoot settings“.
2. Now, on the right side of your Settings window, scroll down to find Get up and running section.
3. Click on the “Windows Update” troubleshooter option and then click on “Run the troubleshooter“.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions and let the Windows Update Troubleshooter complete the process.
4. Reboot your computer.
After rebooting your computer, try to update your Windows Update. If you still face the error message go for this next fix.
Fix- 4 Windows Update cache reset-
Resetting the Windows Update cache should fix the issue on your computer can solve the problem on your computer.
1. Press Window key and then type “wsreset“.
2. Click on the “wsreset“.
After this, try to update the Windows 10 again.
Fix-5 Use Windows Media Creation Tool-
You can use the Windows Media Creation Tool (MCT) to update your Windows 10.
1. At first, click on the MediaCreationTool1903.exe.
2. Now, double click the “MediaCreationTool1903” to run it.
3. To accept the Microsoft terms and conditions for using the software, click on “Accept“.
4. Now, choose “Upgrade this PC now“.
5. Then, click on “Next” to start the up-gradation process.
You should have gone through the up-gradation process without any error.
Go for the next fix if the update process still shows error code- x80240439.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.