Photos application in Windows 10 is a very efficient photo-viewer application. It supports a huge range of image types. But, some of the Windows 10 users are facing an issue when they are trying to open a particular type of photo in Windows 10. Instead of seeing the photo on their screen, they are receiving a message which says ‘We can’t open this file’ on their computer. If you are facing same kind of problem on your end, don’t worry. Just follow these fixes on your computer and your problem will be solved in no time. But before going ahead for the fixes, try these workarounds first.
1. Check if the file is corrupted or broken.
2. Try to open it with any other application (like Paint, Snip and Sketch).
If you are still facing the same problem, go ahead for the fixes-
Fix-1 Check if the image type is supported by Photos-
As we have discussed earlier, Photos supports a huge variety of file types. But, if your image is of a newer format like (WebP, HEIC, JPEG XR) then that can be causing a trouble for Photos. If your image is of a newer format-
1. Convert the file to .JPEG or .JPG using online format converting websites.
2. Use third party application to access the files.
Fix-2 Repair or Reset Photos-
1. Press Windows key+I to open Settings window. Click on “Apps“.
2. Now, on the left pane of the Settings window, click on “Apps & features” and then on the right hand side, scroll down through the list of applications, click on the “Photos” and then click on “Advanced options“.
3. Now, click on the “Reset” to reset the application to default state.
Reboot your computer. Try to open the image file again on your computer. If you are still facing the same problem on your device, go for the next fix.
Fix-3 Reinstall the application-
Reinstalling the application can solve your problem.
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run application, and press “powershell” and hit Enter.
2. Now, copy and paste this command in Powershell window, and then hit Enter.
Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage
4. Now, press Windows Key+R to launch Run, and then type “ms-windows-store:” and hit Enter.
Check if you can access the image on your computer or not. If your problem still persists, then go for the next fix.
Fix-4 Use Windows Photo Viewer-
You will not discover Windows Photo Viewer app in the defaults app screen or in the Start menu. Download this software on your computer and you will able to use Windows Photo Viewer again on your computer.
1. Download the Restore Windows Photo Viewer.
2. Now, run the downloaded “RestoreWindowsPhotoViewerSetup” on your computer. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Restore the Windows Photo Viewer on your computer. If the application is not launched automatically, launch it from the desktop with administrative rights.
3. Now, in the Restore Windows Photo Viewer 1.22 window, click on “Restore Windows Photo Viewer“.
4. You will be directed to the Settings window automatically. Now, click on “Photo Viewer” and then select “Windows Photo Viewer” in the list of the applications.
5. Close all the application window.
Try to open the image again on your computer. It should be opened in Windows Photo Viewer.
Your problem should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.