Are you trying to change Google Chrome browser settings on your computer and you are unable to do it as an error message saying “This setting is enforced by your administrator” is appearing ? If the answer is “Yes“, just follow this simple solutions and your problem will be solved easily.
Fix-1 Change extension and modify Registry-
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window on your computer. Now, copy-paste this location in Run window and hit Enter to open File Explorer window.
2. In Group Policy folder, check all the sub directories, right click on the files with “*.pol” extension and click on “Rename“. Add “*.sav” at the end of the name to change the file extension.
[Example- Right click on “Registry.pol” and then click on “Rename” it to “Registry.sav“. Repeat this for all “*pol” extension]
3. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted for ‘Are you sure you want to change it?‘.
Close File Explorer window when you have renamed all the files.
4. Now, press Windows key+R to launch Run. Now, copy-paste this command in Run and hit Enter. Command Prompt window will be opened.
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome
5. Command Prompt window will be opened with a statement ‘Permanently delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome (Yes/No)?‘. Type “Yes” and hit Enter to delete the key from your computer.
Restart Google Chrome on your computer and check if you can change the chrome settings or not. If the problem is still there go for the next solution.
Fix-2 Use Command Prompt-
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run window on your computer. Now, type “cmd” and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open Command Prompt with Administrative rights. Click on “Yes” to permit User Account Control.
6. In Command Prompt window , copy-paste these commands one by one and then hit Enter to execute them sequentially.
RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers" RD /S /Q "%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy" gpupdate /force
After executing these commands, you will notice these statements in Command Prompt window-
“User Policy update has completed successfully.
Computer Policy update has completed successfully.”
Close Command Prompt window on your computer.
Restart Chrome browser and after restarting check if you can change the chrome settings on your computer.
Your problem should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.