CompatTelRunner.exe is an application on Windows, which some of the users are reporting having an issue with it’s very high disk usage. CompatTelRunner.exe or Windows Compatibility Telemetry is an application designed by Microsoft which reports usage and performance data to Microsoft for improving user experience. It runs in the background and sometime ( specially for low-end computers) it uses high amount of disk and becomes a reason of very slow boot.
If you want to stop CompatTelRunner.exe using high disk usage, follow these fixes-
Fix-1 Disabling CompatTelRunner.exe with Task Scheduler
You can disable the CompatTelRunner.exe with Task Scheduler. Follow these steps to disable it-
1. Press Windows Key+R and type “taskschd.msc” and hit enter. Task Scheduler will be opened.
2. Now click on “Task Scheduler Library” and then click on “Microsoft” and then click on “Windows“. In the drop down menu of Windows click on the “Application Experience“.
3. Now you will see some tasks on the right pane of “Application Interface“. Right click on the “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser” and click on the “Disable“.
4. Close the Task Scheduler and reboot your computer. Check if CompatTelRunner.exe is still having high disk usage. If it is still having high disk usage, then go for the next fix.
Fix- 2 Delete CompatTelRunner.exe as an administrator
You can delete the CompatTelRunner.exe as an administrator. Before going for the next step,make sure that you are logged in as an Administrator. Follow these steps to delete CompatTelRunner.exe –
1. Press Windows Key+R and type “C:\Windows\System32” and hit enter.
2. Now Click on the Search Tab on the upper most right corner, type”CompatTelRunner“. Right click on it and click on “Properties“.
3.Click on the “Security” tab and then click on the “Advanced” tab.
3. Click on the “Change” beside “Owner:“. Now click on “Advanced“.
4. Click on the “Find Now” tab and look for your user name. Select the name and click on “Ok“.
5. Your selected username will be seen in the select Click on “Ok“.
6. Click on “Apply” and “Ok“.
.7. Now you have to right click on “CompatTelRunner” and click on “Properties“. Go to the “Security” tab. Select the username you have changed ownership to.
8. Now, again click on the your Username. Check the box beside the “Full control“. Next click on “Apply” and “Ok“. Close the “Permissions for CompatTelRunner“.
9. Now look for the “CompatTelRunner” and right click on it. Click on the “Delete“.
10. Reboot your computer. The problem will be solved. If it is not solved then go for the next fix.
Fix-3 Uninstall KB2952664
Windows Update KB2952664 can cause this error. By following these steps you can uninstall KB2952664 from your computer.
1. Press Windows Key+R and type “cmd” and hit Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Click on “Yes” if prompted by User Account Control.
2. Type “dism /online /get-packages | findstr KB2952664” and hit Enter.
3. Type “dism /online /remove-package /PackageName:Package_for_KB2952664~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~220.127.116.11” and press Enter.
4. Type “Get-HotFix -id KB2952664” and hit Enter. This step is to check if there is any Hotfix error or not. If there is no HotFix error then KB2952664 is deleted from your computer.
5. Reboot your computer and your problem should be solved.
Sambit is a Mechanical Engineer By qualification who loves to write about Windows 10 and solutions to weirdest possible problems.